Question: First Axolotl Help

RobertsKitty

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tomorrow my first Axolotl will finally arrive (thanks rick). I have just a few quick questions about when baby first gets home. Do I need to float him like you would with a fish in a new aquarium to get the temps correct. Is a net the best thing to use when moving from starting contain to tank? Should I feed him the first day or let him get settled? How much and of what would be best for an 8 week old axolotl? Is there extra stuff I should know that I might not when first getting him? The tank is cycled and now has an inch of sand in the bottom 2 small pots for him to hide in a few fake plants and the flow from the filter is nearly non existent. I do have a lid now as well. Anything else?

Thanks

Do I need to float him like you would with a fish in a new aquarium to get the temps correct.

I always do, I believe that it helps to prevent temperature shock (which is the last thing the poor little bugger needs after a big move!)

Is a net the best thing to use when moving from starting contain to tank?

Given the fact you are getting an 8wk old baby, then I think I net will be fine. Just make sure that the net is big enough, and you be careful.

Should I feed him the first day or let him get settled? How much and of what would be best for an 8 week old axolotl?

You need to feed the little one EVERY DAY, and depending the temperature in your tank, probably twice a day. Feed it enough food that it can eat in about 15mins. Try offering some live/frozen bloodworm, earthworm (cut into small pieces), and you could even try some pellets if they are small enough.

Here is some more food ideas. Just cut everything up so its small enough for baby.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml

Is there extra stuff I should know that I might not when first getting him?

I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but check this out just in case! Anything you need to know will be there, and if not, we are all here to help you.
http://www.axolotl.org/index.htm

Good luck with everything. Oh, and don't forget that we love photos here;)
Sorry if I have forgotten anything:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Is there extra stuff I should know that I might not when first getting him?

Yes, you should know that now we expect regular updates, including photo documentation. :D

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back