Question: What is the normal growth rate for axolotls?

swalter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Sabine
We have a batch of axolots growing that hatched at the end of October 2008. Now (in January 09) they are only about 3 cm long. Am I too impatient or are they really growing too slow? Water temp is 22 degrees celsius and the water does contain the Hofsteadter's solution as mentioned in the axolotl.org pages. We've been hatching brine shrimp eggs and offer brine shrimp to the axolotls twice daily. Should we switch to frozen blood worms or axolot (salmon) pellets? check the pictures I placed in my album. Thanks for any comments!

I’m new to axies but looking at your pics, I have to wonder if they are actually getting all the food you give them. They seem to have a decent amount of water to have to search for food and then add the complexity of the bottom with all the rocks. It looks to me like there are a lot of places for the brine shrimp to hide.

By the way, I love the ‘divider abuse’. Reminds me of some of my past tanks except my dividers were homemade.

Personally, I believe that they are probably a bit too small for their age. I noticed that they back legs haven't formed properly yet, or is that just me? Anyway, I think that you should try putting them into a small space. I think that is would be worth trying them on frozen blood worm (thaw it first), but you have to offer it more than twice a day. I would try four times a day for awhile and see how that goes.

Hello,

I have larvae at a similar age to yours (hatched 21st October). I have two that are less developed but 5 that have all four legs and are around 5 - 6cm. I have kept them in small containers feeding initially with daphnia, then onto baby earthworms. I have this week transferred them to a 3 foot bare-bottomed tank and they are now all eating baby earthworms (from my wormery) They seem to be growing well.

Thanks to all of you for the replies -- yes, I think we will remove some of the rocks in the bottom of the tank and reduce some of the water as well. We fed them thawed blood worms this morning which seemed to work okayl. I'll look for some smaller containers, too. Since we're having the tank in our biology lab at the college, the care over the holidays has been up to my husband and me; but now that the students are back, we will share the responsibility with them.

I larvae one month old. They developing back back legs and close to three inches. I am primarily feeding alll the daphnia they can eat. Daphnia are great because they stay alive until eaten. They have not been chewing each other even though a bit crowded. Is this extremely large?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back