gills and food

sarmale

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all
My 4 axies are doing great. I do have a few questions. Why would their gills look suddenly smaller. They do not look chewed at all. Is it possible that the amount of Oxygen in the tank is too high?
Also, I feed them (all four) one cut up earthworm every other day. Is that enough food?
Thanks

Hello sarmale,

The question of gill length is one of the great unanswered questions about axolotls. In any case, there is, to the best of my knowledge, no such thing as too much oxygen. What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? What is the water temperature? If your water parameters are all ok, then I wouldn't worry about gill length.

How big are your axolotls? How often they need to eat depends on their age (size).

-Eva

Hi Sarmale,

Gill length itself is multi-factorial. There is the role of genetics, nutrition, amount of dissolved gases in the water, quality of water and possible presence of an underlying disease/condition.

As long as the axolotls have a good appetite and doesn't demonstrate signs of stress like curled forward gills/curled tail tip, or show obvious signs of illness like fungus growing on its gills, there is unlikely to be pathology contributing to the length of the gills.

If your axolotls are very young juveniles, the rapid growth may play a visual trick such that the body size in comparison to the gills appear bigger. Blueberlin's advise of ensuring good water quality is also most important to ensure good gill health.

Increased dissolved oxygen in the water may cause a normal shrinking of the gills because in terms of physiology, there is less necessity for that large surface area of the gills for gaseous exchange. This is nothing to be alarmed about. It is way more important to ensure there is enough oxygenation at all times.

If general, the younger your axolotl, the more frequently you would need to feed them. The type of food also matters greatly. In general, assuming your axolotl is an adult, i would feed it as much as it can consume in one sitting within 5 minutes.

Temperature, stage of growth, health status and breeding status all determine the amount of food an axolotl requires so there will be some variance between them.

Cheers

Hi all
Thanks for all the replies.
The water quality in the tank is very good so that is not a problem. The axolotls are 6-7 months old and about 6-8 inches in length. They are active and eat well. No pathology present. I will increase their feeding a bit and see what happens.
Again, thanks for the replies.
Sarmale

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back