Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Follow up Question to Cycling with 7 week baby

RobertsKitty

Reaction score
I tested the ammonia using this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754002 and it came up between a .1 and a .25 The tank was filled to the brim which was making it harder to cool so I removed 3g (its a 10g tank) and put in 1 g of fresh water. This is helping the fans to their job in keepin the water cooler. I had to race to work (10 minutes late since I had to do water changes) so I couldn't check how the water change had effected everything. Anyway, I was wondering is my goal to keep the ammonia between a certain amount or to try and keep it at 0? I didn't have time to check anything else so I will have to do that tomorrow. I am doing water checks at LEAST once a day I'm going to try and do it twice over the weekend when I'm off. I am hesitant to vacuum the uneaten food after a set period of time. I am feeding him frozen bloodworms (thawed in a cup of tank water before fed) but he doesn't eat them right when I feed him. Instead during the day I see him gulping some here and some there. I don't want to keep him from eating! Should I be cleaning up uneaten even if he is still eating it?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I would clean up any uneaten food as it will pollute the water, especially if the tank is on the warmer side.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1