Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Just wondering-Blocking excessive filter current.

RobertsKitty

Reaction score
With the exception of a spray bar I was wondering what other methods everyone has tried with and without sucess. Just for curiousitys sake. I don't really like how my spray bar looks. I have considered some kind of filter foam jammed onto the outtake or something like that. Ideas?

Kerry1968

Reaction score
In my larvae's tank I tried fastening a piece of foam on the front of the outlet on the filter. It worked quite well in lessening the flow of water and looked OK. Though I was partially blocking the intake of the filter too (to stop them getting sucked up) and I think it was too much for the pump and in the middle of the night it started making an awful racket. I've now changed to a smaller pump with a spray bar (thinking that babies don't make a large amount of waste) the flow is still a bit strong, but like you mentioned in your previous post they seem to enjoy 'riding' the current!
But in answer to your original question, if you can find a way of fixing the foam to the outlet, it works well (I used an elastic band) Please be aware that if you use anything to fix it that actually sits in the water you have to be careful of any chemicals that may come off it and into the water (such as in adhesive tape etc, maybe I'm just over cautious).

Last edited:

Mitzee

Reaction score
I use this little netted moss ball fake plant thing, the water goes through it and there is barely any current. Plus it makes the filter quite quiet!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A stack of bricks, with the topmost brick horizontal just under the outflow area.

Celeste

Reaction score
Hi!!!!

Well, I dont know if what I did is considered a spray bar. My filter´s outfeed is made of PVC pipe (¿? sorry, not a native english speaker) facing down, so I put a 90º turn and made a conection with 2 plastic containers with PVC "T" inside to conect them. I put stones inside the containers, doesnt look so bad, but today I got some slate and Im thinking on making a cave to cover it so it looks better. By the way, I drilled holes in the 2 containers facing to the glass. There is no current now.

kira

Reaction score
Hi!!!!

Well, I dont know if what I did is considered a spray bar. My filter´s outfeed is made of PVC pipe (¿? sorry, not a native english speaker) facing down, so I put a 90º turn and made a conection with 2 plastic containers with PVC "T" inside to conect them. I put stones inside the containers, doesnt look so bad, but today I got some slate and Im thinking on making a cave to cover it so it looks better. By the way, I drilled holes in the 2 containers facing to the glass. There is no current now.

Sounds interesting - could you post a photo please?

Celeste

Reaction score
Posting the pictures.... i am still making some adjustments, I think the agitation in the water´s surface isnt enough because there were a little bit of bubbles... Took out the lid of the container, I will just wait and see how it works. Im sorry I couldnt take a picture of the back of the containers, where the holes are... to heavy to move and I was in a hurry... i hope the pictures help and please, let me know what you think about it!!!

Attachments

• 121_3578.jpg
    121_3578.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 241
  • 121_3577.jpg
    121_3577.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 225
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1