Veterinarian with axolotls

juliekeen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
herpvet
I'm new to this site and haven't quite learned to navigate too well yet. My husband and I are both veterinarians in southeastern Wisconsin. I specialize in exotic animal medicine but have much more knowledge with reptiles than amphibians. We got a couple of axolotls for fun and now have a whole colony of neonates we don't know what to do with so I'm hoping this site will help us out. I'd also like to use the site to brush up on husbandry on some of the amphibian species that I sometimes see at work. This should be a fun adventure. Juls

Welcome to the site. Their aren't to many vets around that do work with salamanders. When I had to get a health certificate to ship some salamanders the local vet had to use the paperwork he uses for puppies.

If you don't already have it I recommend picking up a copy of "Amphibian Medicine and Captive Husbandry" by Wright and Whitaker. This is a good basic amphibian med book. Their follow up book is supposed to have a section on axolotls. It looks like it will be at leas another year till that comes out.

Welcome to the site! We're always glad to see some new vets here. We have a couple of them already and maybe some will stop by to post and swap stories or advice.

I would definitely start by checking out the links in my signature. Caudata Culture and Axolotl.org are the best online resources when it comes to caudate husbandry. What sort of amphibians do you see in your practice, if you don't mind me asking?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back