Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Any salamanders in Singapore??

Astrogirl

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i am interested in keeping salamanders or mexican walking fish but i have not seen them available locally. Would like to get some advice from people who are familiar with salamander species available in singapore. I asked around some aquarium shops, they stare at me strangely or say that they have not heard of them. Anyone from Singapore who can help??

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Astrogirl,

I recently came back to singapore to visit my family and took the time to look around the aquarium shops. From my understanding, ALL salamander species are not legal in singapore. That includes the axolotl (also known as the mexican walking fish).

The only amphibians you can keep are frogs and toads. There is quite a large variety of frogs (green tree frogs/bullfrogs, asian tree climbing frogs etc) at the shops in wattel estate and also around serangoon north ave 1. You may like to visit the threads of frog care in this site.

There may be some inethical trading of illegal species, as i have heard from one shop they can bring in 'water-dogs". Please do NOT purchase illegal species. Besides being a crime, it helps promote this illegal trade by supporting them. Not to also say that you would not be able to provide the best care for this animal because you would not dare bring it to a vet etc. and there would be limited resources for its care. You can also introduce harmful parasites carried from this species not native to singapore and harm the ecosystem ehere.

I am sorry that you would not be able to keep axolotls but you are most welcomed to learn more about them and share the beauty of the animals from the galleries here. You can be my axolotls long distance god parent if you want!

On a side note. I have reported that illegal aquarium shop activity to the AVA. Remember not to involve yourself by buying animals from them.

Cheers.

Astrogirl

Reaction score
Thanks. I didn't know salamanders are illegal here. I would not do anything illegal. My dreams of owning salamders are over though. :( I don't like frogs or toads as much. Do they even make good pets? They are normally used to feed fish like arowana here and not really very pet like. We can get a big bag of small frogs like for 5 dollars.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Astrogirl,

I am not very familiar with keeping frogs or toads as pets. I shall leave that to the other experts here.

However, i would like to say that even though an animal may seem readily available, cheap to acquire or seem 'plain/boring'', does not mean that it makes a poor pet. You would be pleasantly surprised to see how many ''cheap'' pets make fantastic, entertaining pets. They are living things to care for and protect as well. Consider it carefully, and if you do your research on them beforehand, they could very likely give you a lot of pet ownership enjoyment for a long time.

Cheers

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi again,

This is just something i found that i thought might be interesting to you. This list includes all amphibian species native to (and some can be kept as pets) Singapore. You can try field herping in some of the nature reserves around here and who knows you may have some interesting finds along the way. You can invest in a good colour atlas of different amphibians to help you with identification because frankly, i don't think i can recognise half of these myself.

Cheers
Order Gymnophiona (Caecilians)

Family Ichthyophiidae (Asian Caecilians)

Order Anura (Frogs and Toads)

Family Bufonidae (Toads)

Family Megophryidae (Litter Frogs)

Family Dicroglossidae (Fanged Frogs)

Family Ranidae (True Frogs)

Family Rhacophoridae (Gliding Frogs)

Family Microhylidae (Narrow-mouthed Frogs)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!