Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pink Fuzz

A

AmandaLyne

So last week i fed my 2 juvie axis some baby brine shrimp i took ut what was not eaten but as you all know brine shrimp is messy. So anyhow now this week there is ALOT of pinkish red fuzz on everything the PVC pipe the cave the plans the filter. I did a 80% water change last night and thpught i ot it all out not thismorn i get up and its everywhere again. ANY IDEAS its not on te axis just on everything else!!

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi AmandaLyne,

I'm sorry but I can't think of a thing that would be pink and fuzzy in an aquarium. Could you maybe post a picture of it for us?

-Eva

A

AmandaLyne

IMG_2295.jpg

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2298.jpg

I am just worried its some kind of bacteria. I cleaned the entire tank last night with a 80% water change and it came back all over the plants that were just washed off.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Amandalyn,

I would think it looks somewhat like axolotl excrement. If this is indeed the case, i would not worry too much. I would just try to clean up visible excrement with a siphon/turkey baster.

The solid excrement turns into finer particulate matter that can be stirred up from substrate during water changes. These particulate dust-like excrement can then readily settle on plants, filters etc. surfaces, giving it the appearance as seen in the pictures.

Cheers

A

AmandaLyne

is that normal for one night to have that much?? It only recently started...

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Amandalyn,

The fine dust-like excrement can really accumulate deep in the substrate and can be difficult to remove. I would not be surprised if they settle like such after being stirred up by the water.

On another note, 80% water change is really quite drastic. Be careful not to scrub off the desirable layer of bioslime (bacteria). A 20% water change regularly is much better than one huge change.

Regards

geosheets

Reaction score
By the way it hangs from parts of the plants and the filter cord, it almost looks to me like an algae bloom. It definitely looks like there is some algae on the tank wall behind the filter. I've never encountered a pink algae in freshwater aquaria. It seems I've read something about a pink algae or bacteria, but I'm thinking it may have been more common in swimming pools. Mold that grows in refrigerators and freezers is pink but, I believe it needs air to survive. Is the tank getting any sunlight? If so, it's very possible it is an algae bloom. Do NOT put any algaecide in your tank. Most algeacides contain copper which will poison your axies.

A

AmandaLyne

yeah i think we are going to to a complete over haul. Take out the sand and scrub everything clean.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm, geosheets does make sense that it can be algae bloom.

Does your tank have exposure to a lot of light source? This includes not only natural sunlight but aquarium light or presence of lamps nearby as well.

Normally algae bloom also tends to occur when there is excessive nitrogenous wastes in the water. If you monitor the amount of light exposure and make sure you remove wastes, uneaten food and perform regular water changes, it should keep the algae bloom at minimum.

Do you use live plants in your aquarium? Some rotting plant matter can also take on the appearance of the fuzzy residue and can also contribute to nitrogenous wastes.

Cheers

A

AmandaLyne

Not its not in a plce where it gets sun...no live plants either.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1