please tell me i got it right

papasean

Reaction score
Country
Canada
After posting my new first ever newt on one of these blogs to identify him (hongkongesis i think) and learn how to care for him, i learnt that his tank mate that was sold together with him (Paddletale) had to go. i found in the store what looks to be of the same breed as my first. so i did a strait swap for the paddle tail. and of course the people at the shop dont have a clue what type he is. they thought it was a crocodile newt. i have these pics please advise. and if possible tell me the sex.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is that it is a male although I have no expertise. To me its cloaca looks slightly swollen which is why I came to that conclusion.

Blackhawk

Both look honkongensis despite the difference in color. Also they both look male.
Is there anything wrong with the eyes of the lighter one? Seems odd...

I would guess male for both as well. Those are either the largest newts or the smallest child's hand that I have ever seen!
Chip

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back