Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

looking for advice...

MinustheJimmy

Reaction score
Within the next few days I am expecting my first couple of axies to arrive. I have had my tank set up for almost two weeks! I have a few feeder fish in there to hopefully be some tasty treats and aid in cycling. i have read about as much as i can from website and i am just looking for some advice. is there anything i should watch out for, any way to make things less stressful, should i feed them immediately? any other advice would be much appreciated as well! thanks!:cool:

paullism

Reaction score
Good luck.

The best thing to do is monitor them daily.
Test your water each day, if your ammonia levels rise then do a daily water change. If they are still above 1 then increase the % of volume of water in your daily change.

Remove all uneaten food & poop - get your self a turkey baster - very handy.

You can offer food, but more than likely it will take your pets a couple of days to settle down in their new environment.

Enjoy them & don't panic - you have lots of people here that will assist you if any thing happens

Also make sure you post some pics ! - we all love them.

optimist

Reaction score
I would add that when you first them refrain from turning on the light as much as possible. They prefer the dark.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Minusthejimmy,

Congratulations on being a soon to be axolotl guardian. I can foresee many years of enjoyment for you.

To stop myself from being too longwinded, here are a few vital tips to reduce stress in your axolotl.

Tank - Make sure you position the tank away from direct sunlight, in a cool, shaded area of the house with ideally not too much human/animal traffic. (Prevent overheating + avoid startling the axie with excessive traffic)

Water - Monitor Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, pH and temp. Ideally, 0, 0, <60, neutral and around 18 degree celsius respectively. No excessive water currents from filters etc.

Environmental enrichment - Provide hiding places, such as pots, brick caves, plants etc. Ideally at least 2 hiding places per axolotl.

Safety - Sand substrate or bare bottomed tank. Axolotls are best kept by themselves and not with other species such as fish. If you are using feeder fish, make sure you quarantine them for at least a month beforehand.

Lighting - If you keep live plants, 6 hours or aquarium lighting will suffice. They will still be fine with the 6 hours of lighting if you provide dark hiding spots.

Otherwise have fun!

Best regards

MinustheJimmy

Reaction score
thanks everyone! they arrived today and seem to be doing fine! i'll keep you posted when i have a little more time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1