aquatic newts

killerfrogss

Reaction score
Country
Undeclared (Forum rules require a Nationality)
looking for a list of totally aquatic newts, that can be kept in 74 to 78 degree water. i live in florida so its hard to keep cooler water temps.

The only fully aquatic newts that would survive those temps in the long run would be Cynops ensicauda, and possibly Cynops pyrrhogaster. However, i´d say those are the maximum temps you should consider....
Any other species i can think of right now would be stressed and possibly die(if their health is not perfect) if kept at those constant temps.

Oops...forgot that one xD They are very resistant and tolerate moderately high temps.
Mind you, Pleurodeles aestivate when temps get too high in the wild, so perhaps they would go terrestrial if temps got out of hand? I really don´t know, i´m just wondering...

If you can't keep the tank temp below 74, I would really recommend getting animals that are more suited to your climate, like tropical frogs, lizards, etc. Have you considered a caecilian?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back