Poo

hanniebumblebee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
hannie bee
:D Hi awkward question but... my axolotls poo has gotten so large and heavy it wont go up my syphon any more... I feed them whole frozen minnows cut up into bite size chunks as its easy to buy and less messy than blood worm. Is this problem normal or should I change their diet? At the moment they are both getting much bigger and looking exceptionally more healthy than when I was feeding them on blood worm. Any advice?? Thanx Hannie xx

Their poo sounds fine. The poo gets better as they get older (and eat more) I've noticed. Sometimes I have the same problem.
Just to be sure, is there anything at all in the tank, which they could have accidently swallowed (the same size as their head or smaller)? Do you have any gravel, rocks or pebbles in your tank?

As for their diets, I recommend giving more of a variety of foods and cutting back on the minnows as they aren't the best things nutritionally. If you want something that isn't messy, why not try earthworms or pellets....
For instance, my axolotls eat a wide variety of food including earthworms, beef heart, mealworms, prawns, feeder fish, frozen fish, beef meat(very rarely), turtle pellets, krill pellets (for the littles ones treats), crickets, grasshoppers....(Please note that some of these are just treats).
There are a lot of other possibilies available to you.

I don't know if you have seen this page, but its worth having a look and bookmarking it for future reference.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml

Hope this helps;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back