Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: what do you think of my tiger terrarium...?

geodaryl

Reaction score
Finished building my tiger salamanders terrarium/palaudarium...
slightly more land than water, but he enjoys a good swim in the mornings.
complete with remote lighting and remote stream/waterfall.
Just need to find some moss to cover the cocofibres and maybe some other plants, pothos etc...
Sorry about the photos, i needed to use a fish eye lens so i could get all the tank in the pictures....
so... what do you think?
daryl

Attachments

• DSCF3855.jpg
    DSCF3855.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 2,003
  • DSCF3943.jpg
    DSCF3943.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,136
  • DSCF3946.jpg
    DSCF3946.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 1,986
  • DSCF3953.jpg
    DSCF3953.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 10,352
  • DSCF3792.jpg
    DSCF3792.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 3,140

ferret_corner

Reaction score
Its a lovely tank.

I know the fisheye lens is misleading but one of those pics - it seems like a 10gl?

Sharon

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
The tank looks great, however it looks like there is too much water for a tigers needs really and would probably be better suited for Notophtalmus sp. or something of that sort. Tigers require more land space than anything and a basic water dish would do just fine. I hope you don't take this the wrong way.

Later

geodaryl

Reaction score
The tank is just shy of 3 foot long, theres plenty of room and land in there for him as he is less than 5 inches long. There is more land area than water and the water is full of things to clamber on too. I like the idea of greater volume of water as the stream/waterfall is fed by a filter so the water is clean and stays fresh for longer, no need for daily water changes like a drinking bowl. He seems to really enjoy a morning swim to clean the substrate off of him then straight into burrowing mode to get covered in dirt again... plus he loves to sit in the trickling stream and lay under the waterfall, so he must appreciate the extra water...?!?

pepper

Reaction score
You should lower the water level, they aren't good swimmers and are fully terrestrial when they are adults.

They take an occasional dip but not into deep water.

Other then that it looks really good!

Bobby7489

Reaction score
Finished building my tiger salamanders terrarium/palaudarium...
slightly more land than water, but he enjoys a good swim in the mornings.
complete with remote lighting and remote stream/waterfall.
Just need to find some moss to cover the cocofibres and maybe some other plants, pothos etc...
Sorry about the photos, i needed to use a fish eye lens so i could get all the tank in the pictures....
so... what do you think?
daryl
Nice terrarium.

Last edited by a moderator:

geodaryl

Reaction score
He can't get within 6 inches of the light and its only 10 watts, barely on either...

Cronic Samurai

Reaction score
How did you do the pond? I want to do my tank similar, but I can't keep the water good. Information would be great thanks.:D

tiki

Reaction score
That's incredible looking! To me, it looks like a nice ratio of land to water, but I'm not claiming to be an expert on these or anything. I think it looks nice :happy:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, I'd never recommend any water deeper than a water dish for a tiger salamanders. Adults are poor swimmers, and can easily drown.

spendday

Reaction score
Personally, I'd never recommend any water deeper than a water dish for a tiger salamanders. Adults are poor swimmers, and can easily drown.

I was always told tigers breed in water and can swim quite will (for a terrestrial species) although i wouldn't keep my tigers in a semi aquatic

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
First off, absolutely magnificent vivarium you have there!

I was always told tigers breed in water and can swim quite will (for a terrestrial species) although i wouldn't keep my tigers in a semi aquatic

While true, this is only once a year for a short period of time. In the case of tigers in captivity, the conditions of temperature required to trigger breeding are very, very, very hard to simulate, even with techniques like fridging.

Tigers in the wild spend most of their time underground in damp burrows, heading to the surface only on damp nights to feed. What they really need is deep substrate to burrow in, or have a number of ready made burrows to hide in. A bit of a water dish is more than sufficient.

Water too deep, or even too wet of a substrate can in fact lead to drowning. While I love your set up, I would add quite a few plants and make sure there are plenty of logs, ramps and the like to allow for a quick escape from the pond.

Last edited:

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I've never seen or heard of a tiger salamander adult that drowned. I've also seen adult tiger salamanders (Barreds) walking around quite happily on pool bottoms when it's not the breeding season. All that being said, I would recommend keeping them aquatic, though I've seen it done by people who didn't know any better.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1