Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

NB Press: (Salamander) Sightings (in December)

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
TELEGRAPH-JOURNAL (Saint John, New Brunswick) 10 January 09 Sightings (Don McAlpine is the research curator, head of zoology and chairman of the Department of Natural Science at the New Brunswick Museum in Saint John.)
Recently, on a mild December night, I took the dog out before going to bed and was surprised to see a salamander slowly making its way across the melting snow outside my front door. Now, I am from southern Ontario and have never seen a salamander in the wild in Canada before. I was thinking it was a small pet lizard that had gotten loose from one of the neighbours' homes. I brought it inside, housed it in a ventilated plastic container and did an Internet search for 'salamanders New Brunswick.' I quickly found that it was a spotted salamander indigenous to this area of New Brunswick and it was not unusual to see them during a mild snow melt. I returned him to a bare patch of grass under an evergreen in the area to which he was heading when I found him. I hope he survived OK. Can you provide any more info on these salamanders and their activity during winters? - James M. Fisher, Miramichi
The yellow-spotted salamander occurs across New Brunswick and is the more common of the two mole salamanders that occur here (the other is the blue-spotted salamander). As the name mole salamander suggests, these species spend most of their lives underground, often in association with small mammal burrows. Both species have toxic skin secretions that probably help deter mammal predators. These secretions present no hazard to people who might handle these salamanders though. The yellow-spotted salamander is seen most frequently for several weeks in April when adults move to ponds and water-filled ditches to mate and lay eggs. The adults are rarely seen the rest of the year, although they may be encountered crossing roadways on rainy evenings, in damp basements, or under a woodpile. In spite of what James found on the Internet, winter observations of this species are quite unusual, although certainly unseasonably mild weather may prompt this species to move about on the surface, perhaps if a hibernation site is flooded.
http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/search/article/534373

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1