Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

PLEASE HELP - Salamander in trouble...

I

Irishivy

I am having a very serious problem with my salamander Jack. There is a small flesh colored sore that has began to grow on his back between his legs where I would say his spine meets his lower legs.

It started some time ago (1 month) when he stopped eating the blood worms I was giving him and became emaciated. I saw it begin as a small pink spot and now that he has all his weight back (I'm feeding him only crickets) the spot has become increasingly larger. He is also becoming slower and drained looking.

I am going to change the water to clean it up a bit, put colder water and try to keep him out of the water a bit. He prefers to be under water than anything else but I see him trying to keep on land more than usual.

The photo is from about 10 minutes ago and you can clearly see the sore. It doesn't look infected but it is obvious and big. It also looks as though his outerskin has simply peeled off and left that pink flesh under. I have no idea what species of salamander this is and would like to know if you do.

I'm really scared he will die and I don't know what to do. Anything you can offer in terms of advice will be so greatly appreciated!

- Ivy

Attachments

• DSC03993.jpg
    DSC03993.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 269
  • DSC03995.jpg
    DSC03995.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 200
  • DSC03998.jpg
    DSC03998.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 176

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
To me this animal seems to be a Taricha granulosa (but I may be wrong with that since I only saw pictures of them so far). Have a look for more pics here.

I can't tell you much about the sore. It is of course unusual that his skin peels but if it does by itself it might be some kind of infection. Or maybe some kind of malnutrition. Crickets do have a very bad calcium : phosphorus ratio (look here.) and therefore are not meant to be staple food without any supplementation.

Do you have any water parameters?

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Ok as for an ID it looks like Taricha granulosa to me. As for the sore it looks like an ulcer but since its been going on for about a month now I will let someone with more experience speak up about treatment. Can you give us your water parameters to see if maybe water quality is an underlying issue.

I

Irishivy

First of all, thank you for such speedy replies!!!

I use tap water and put 4 drops of Jungle Start Right chlorine and chloramine remover in about every 2L I add to the aquarium.

I think I have about 6-8L of water in his tank because he prefers more water. I will take a picture of the tank but I have removed him from the environment.

I'm pretty sure this has something to do with the water because I have seen a lot of cricket material floating around and there is only a tiny filter and I haven't cleaned for a bit.

I've attached a few pics of the aquarium... please keep the suggestions coming.

Any idea what sex the salamander is from my pictures?

Thanks,
- Ivy

Attachments

• DSC03999.jpg
    DSC03999.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 177
  • DSC04000.jpg
    DSC04000.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 190
I

Irishivy

What I have decided to do so far...

Just to update, I have found some better information about my set-up and supplies.

First, I have separated my Rough-skinned, yellow bellied newt to a small container to wait until I am ready to introduce him to the tank again.

Second, I competely emptied and cleaned with cold tap water, everything that was in the tank and filled it with fresh water.

Third, I have a 380 Aquarium Tank. I don't know what the number is but I can tell you that I have put in about 18L of cold tap water. I had the number all wrong in my last posting.

Fourth, I have added 5mL of Nutrafin Aqua Plus tap water conditioner and 5mL of Nutrafin Waste Control to the water.

Fifth, I fixed my Fluval 404 filter so that it is now working properly. This filter holds 7L of water which is contanstaly running inside and mixing with the water in the tank (That would mean altogether, the chemicals I have added are to 25L of water).

I'm not sure how long to leave the tank running or what temperature the water should be at before I reintroduce Jack to the water. As well, I see a lot of writing in terms of amonium treatments and weeks of testing the water and I am not set up for any of this. I am a first time owner of such a pet and no-one gave me any instructions. I basically rescued the amphibian.

Finally, I have had Jack for two years and the system I have been using has lasted me for all this time. I did not do anything like this for him before and he has survived. I am changing my methods because I feel that I might be killing him and I want him to live as long as possible.

Thank you for all your help and suggestions. Can you tell me what I might need to purchase next? I will be going to the pet store tomorrow to purchase small pellets and other foods the merchant might suggest as a good balanced diet. Any further suggestions about food besides crickets?

- Ivy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!