Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

baby bullfrog illness?

amkid247

Reaction score
i have a newly morphed bullfrog, the only one who decided to morph from the group. anyway i had him in an aquatic setup with a turtle dock. he was fine the first week. he ate at least three crickets during that time. then he started to spend less and less time on land. and now if i remove him from water he jumps back in. he's gotten very waterlogged, and his skin is starting to come off. i've removed him from his tank, and put him in a small tank with wet moss. can anyone tell me what this could be?

and any ideas on this creature and if it could be causing my problems? its that little white worm on the glass near the aquarium sealant.

Attachments

• pond 001.jpg
    pond 001.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,060
  • pond 002.jpg
    pond 002.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 7,998

newtamander

Reaction score
That appears to be a aquatic insect larva. I don't think its the problem. Also is shedding of skin the only problem because all healthy amphibians shed there skin.

marco

Reaction score
Perhaps its just going through some sort of motions, if its only just morphed then internally there might still be some major developments going on.

The best thing to do is give it a shore line set up, a turtle dock probably isnt very desireable to the frog as they dont provide safety or cover for the animal and there size also inhibits them from resting in a relaxed manner.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The worm look like a planarian, which is harmless. See:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Tank_critters.shtml

I assume that this is a regular American bullfrog (Rana catesbiaena)?

I would recommend moving it to a setup where it has a full choice between water and a sheltered land area. Sometimes an animal will "choose" water rather than an island because it's the only place where they feel sheltered (an instinct to avoid predators). Sometimes the need for shelter overrides their preference for land.

amkid247

Reaction score
Someone from pollywog reccomeded giving him a more terrestial setup as many young frogs go to land to fatten up and disperse. The only problem Is I just came home and he was upside down in the Eco earth...

JJS

Reaction score
I'd agree about the choice between land and water and the provision of shelter. If the frog is really looking "waterlogged" it may potentially have dropsy, which can arise from nutritional deficiencies to which young growing amphibians are particularly vulnerable. Are you giving it a vitamin supplement on its food?

amkid247

Reaction score
Bad news. I lost him sometime last night. He's just sitting in the water. It doesn't seem like he died in pain though... :/
I hadn't begun vitamins yet as I wanted to ensure he was eating first. Unfortunately he stopped eating soon after.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1