Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Permits, US Fish&wildlife, CITES ect

RandallRock

Reaction score
I have been doing research and was interested in any and all information regarding the legal business ins and outs for what I'd like to do...which is breed and sell axolotls and possibly other caudates in the future. Does anyone have any experience getting CITES Permits? Do I need state and federal permits from Customs or Fish and wildlife? Is there a database that can tell me where axolotls are illegal ect?? Still green around the gills.
~Aaron

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
State permits and tax permits vary from state to state. In my state I need a reptile and amphibian breeders license, reptile and amphibian sellers license, and state sales tax permit. Since axolotls are CITES II you only need a cites permit for export or import. If you plan to export or import any amphibians you will also need U.S. Fish and Wildlife Export Import license. Fish and Wildlife is not easy to work with and sometimes it's worth the expense to hire a broker.

State papers have to be filled out to ship to some states. Of the top of my head I'm thinking Hawaii and New Mexico. It's illegal to ship axolotls to N.J. and Calif.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1