Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My FBN's new tank

OZIRIS

Reaction score
Hello all,

As I said few months ago, I was searching a new tank for my newts and I found it recently. They lived in a 20L tank, the new aquarium has 45L.
I'm going to buy some java fern or elodeas because it's a bit empty of plants, It has java moss, cabombas and a japanese algae ball. I'm thinking to raise the last level of rocks to add more water (2/3, they use to spend little time resting out of water on a rock). I put gravel because I think it can't fit on their mouths.
Anyway, it seems they enjoy this tank, they like dark areas under the rocks and floating between plants, they are eating and spending time in water. I leave some photos,

3212003849_d462cfb432.jpg

This is one of my newts,
3212002031_17259c529f.jpg

I'm afraid of her leg, she only has 2 fingers...and It doesn't seem they have grown since I have her (5 months).

3212858204_bcdc20aafb.jpg

I'll put new photos when I buy new plants :) (or a male newt)

Thanks!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Er....i´m pretty sure that´s a male.
Nice tank, i agree more plants would make it nicer though. I suggest you use as much volume of water as you can....it will make things easier for you, and your newt will be happier.

Yahilles

Reaction score
I don't agree with azhael about the sex.

The tank: Very nice! I think you should let the hornwort grow, it's speed is incredible and you shall have plenty of plants. Cabombas won't work in low lightning, i advice you Limnophila sessiflora and Anubias species.

Too many rocks may be dangerous for your tank, but it's just a speculation, because i never created construction like this and i don't see reality how it looks.

OZIRIS

Reaction score
A male?? oh my god ... you told me they both were females... Maybe I already have a couple. I'm going to take some close photos again and I'll upload them during the evening.

OZIRIS

Reaction score
They both have a long tail. :S

Yahilles,don't be afraid of stones, I have stuck them with silicone and they are safe, no movements.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It might just be the photo...but that cloaca looks too big to be a female. It looks like the cloaca of a male who´s completely out of breeding season.
I remember saying they were both female.....perhaps, one fot hem was just a young male? I don´t know....it´s just the pic probably...

Yahilles

Reaction score
Looking from side, mine females also have cloacas like one on the picture, sometimes even more "swollen".

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
In my limited experience, the distance between the legs and the start of the tail is bigger in males. Meaning that cloaca area is "longer".
The animal pictured seems to have a pretty long distance between the legs and the tail, which leads me to believe it could be a developing male.
Females can have rather swollen cloacas, but i´ve never seen a female with a "long" cloaca (looking from the side).
Anyway, whatever it is, it will be awfully clear in time.

OZIRIS

Reaction score
Guys,...in my opinion, I definitely have 2 females. I've never seen a CFBN male before, but I went shopping yesterday and I visited a pet shop and I could see one, there was no doubt about his sex, short and wide tail,rounded ending, very swollen cloaca...so..I bought it.
Anyway, here are the pics I promised yesterday, enjoy them :D and keep discussing, I would like to know your opinion.

Newt 1 , (the animal in the 2 pics above)
3214614679_8d3494d87c_b.jpg

3215466110_80c34af60b_b.jpg

Newt 2,

3215467552_9b48a6a1ca_b.jpg

3215468938_02f00ac55f_b.jpg

Newt 3 ,

3215476082_8f854eb8d5_b.jpg

Female above, male below (in my opinion)

3214626687_3064e3a834_b.jpg

OZIRIS

Reaction score
Little changes, more plants

Well, I bought a java fern some days ago and I planted it in the tank. It came with a gift,...in fact, 3 gifts...hehe. After few days in the aquarium,:eek: I could see 3 fish larvae ( I don't know which species) and a little snail on the glass (2 mm). I was surprised although I had watched some eggs on fern leaves, but I supposed there were only snail eggs.

This is the new aquarium :

3266725916_e378a0b138.jpg

I have added 3 bamboo, I had them in the terrace and they didn't seem to be ok there, so I tried inside the tank. Now, they are growing, new leaves. :D

3266727922_76da5a59a3.jpg

Regards:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1