Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: First newt reccomendations (blabber favorites here please!)

glshuck

Reaction score
Okay. Im pretty sure im getting a newt PDQ and ive got my self a 10 tank. What supplies will i need, and some setup suggestions would be nice (i think i have an idea of what im doing for the setup.)

And for choice of newt, i like the Chinese fire bellies but i want some thing special (not that chinese firebellies aren't its just that every freaking house with a fish tank has a CFB and i hate being like John Doe.)

(plz no scientific names. :eek: complete newt noob.)

sorry it says photo... didnt mean to hit that.

ferret_corner

Reaction score
My fav? Tylototriton shanjing - Emperor Newt or Mandarin Newt, around here you gotta know the latin names - or at least where to find them, lol. 'Cause every newt with a red belly or orange belly gets called a "fire belly" and that includes my other fav Pachytriton labiatus - paddletails.

Sharon

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Scientific names are a must xDD
Common names are usually very vague, easily misleading or simply wrongly assigned.
Scientific names allow no mistake, and they are not that hard to remember hehe. It really will help you if you start getting used to them.
About the newts, i´d strongly recommend Pleurodeles waltl(spanish ribbed newt). Also Triturus(european crested newts) are an excellent choice. They are all available as CB in the states, and are hardy, very easy to care for and beautiful(at least the Triturus xDDDD).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1