Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

juvenile crayfish for axxie?

supergrappler

Reaction score
There is a bait shop near my home that sells tiny 1in crayfish with tiny pincers and soft shells.
Would it be a good food source for a 10 inch axolotl?

SUZY

Reaction score
I don't know that I would, they could really hurt your axies. I've got 8" axies and they dont even go for the fish thing yet. They like the small stuff. If a piece of worm is to big for them, they spit it out. There are too many options for me to even consider things with pinchers !!!

ferret_corner

Reaction score
Yeah I have to say its a risk I wouldn't take. I'm sure in the wild ambystoma eat TINY crayfish but I'm sure its not their first choice, and I'm sure in the wild some axies wind up THE food source for larger crayfish.

Pass on it. Keep to the pellets and worms!

Sharon

pete

Reaction score
I used to feed my axolotl small crayfish with no problem, but if they're too big they can be aggressive towards the salamander. Some people de-claw the crayfish, but I never found this was necessary. Also, I'd keep an eye on it and make sure it gets eaten.

supergrappler

Reaction score
I will stick to tubifex worms and pellets then. The only reason I as is because it seems like an excellent source of calcium, but the liability seems a bit high for my taste.

Thanks for all the replies folks. :D

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Don't forget earthworms - your bait shop will have them, too, right? Excellent food for axolotls.

-Eva

BellaCornuta

Reaction score
Some people feed freshwater stingrays live crayfish. They twist the pincers off first so the crayfish doesn't do any harm to the rays soft body or mouth. I would think in comparison the axie's mouth is more suited than the rays for this.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!