Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Waterdog with illness

cichlidjedi

Reaction score
I was hoping some of you can help me out. I attended an Illinois area reptile swap meet this past weekend and purchased 5 Dwarf Waterdogs (Necturus punctatus). Now 4 of the 5 I have confirmed are for sure punctatus species. The 5th little guy I got is a different species I think Necturus lewis?
Now my issue is that this 2 1/2in. little caudate has a bad fungus growing on the back half of it's tail. When I got it this weekend it's tail was very white and almost looked like the start of a shed due to some damage it got on it's tail. It has gotten worse since I've got it home and as you can see some tissue is now showing and large tufts of fungus are developing. Should I use a scapel and amputate the infected part of the tail? If I do will it grow back? I'm afraid to use anti-fungal fish medications on this animal, so I'm hoping for some help. The other 4 are doing well and eating well,I will add pcitures below in another post. Any help would be great.

Chuck

cichlidjedi

Reaction score
Pictures of sick caudate :( Hoping to get good advice.

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 887
  • P1010007.jpg
    P1010007.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 491
  • P1010012.jpg
    P1010012.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 398
  • P1010013.jpg
    P1010013.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 372
  • P1010017.jpg
    P1010017.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 4,741

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Have you considered treating the fungus with salt-baths? It looks to me like the tail may be past the point where it can be saved; I'm not really an expert on treating medical problems though, so I would wait for a second opinion from someone a bit more well versed.

Good Luck

- Also it looks a lot like N.beyeri to me, much more so than punctatus or lewis, at least from those photos.

pete

Reaction score
I don't really know what would be the best option. Hopefully you can get that fungus under control. If you amputate it, perhaps the cut will get infected and it will spread further up the body. At least I can say for my N.maculosus, it had a piece of it's tail missing when I got her. That did grow back, but very slowly (relative to an axolotl's speed of regeneration). I didn't time it, but I'd guess that it took about an entire year, maybe more.

cichlidjedi

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I had to amputate the tail because the fungus seemed to be spreading higher up on the tail. Were tail was removed it is no longer bleeding and he seems to be moving around better without a rotting tail. This is the second day in a row with a 15 minute saltbath to help avoid infection and also to help keep fungus from growing. I'll follow-up next week with updated pictures when he starts healing up better. Thanks again for feedback.

Necturus101

Reaction score
It's probally highly stress,make sure to have them in dark cold places where it can hide and it's recovery will be slow but it doesn't need the stress.Make sure it's well fed and give it time and see what happens.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!