Toad friends

wootsmom

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello

I have what I think is an American Toad (someone gave it to me and they said they caught it). I am wondering if he can cohabitate with anything else? He came with a fire bellied newt and I separated them immediately cause I know they can't be together because the newt is poisonous. But toads have poison too right? So does that mean he can't be with anything? I know it would have to be about the same size... and I was thinking maybe like a tree frog because then the toad would be in the dirt and the tree frog could have the plants... but they have different temp and humidity requirements right? Any ideas? Or know of anywhere to get him a friend? I don't want to take anything from the wild... and they're probably too common to be captive bred, right?

Really the short answer is no.

The long answer involves, eating tank mates, pathogens, fungus, host, carrier, etc etc etc

Its really a bad idea. Eventually the frog will come down to the ground to catch a cricket or because he sees movement - maybe its the toad he sees moving and POOF. You are now missing one green tree frog. Or they get into a fight and one gets injured and who is going to pay $$$ for a $6 frog to get vet treatment. Or you'll come here for answers and we'll all look at each other and go "oh man that sucks. Well rinse it, clean it, seperate them and hope for the best."

I'm not being mean or witchy. Just trying to point out the reality. skip the "HELP MY TOAD ATE MY FROG" post and don't mix them. One way to get multiple levels of movement would be to stack 10gl tanks. Toad on the bottom, green tree frog on top, maybe give the toad a little pond and toss some guppies in there. They'll wind up food or fertilizer in the tank. But the substrate will be deep enough to handle one or two dead guppies.

Put the green tree frog tank on top (with something to keep it slightly lifted off the bottom tank for air circulation) and make it really green - lots of plants - maybe set up an all in one waterfall unit so it sort of looks like its falling into the pool in the toad tank.

LOL that sounds so good, maybe I'll do that the next time the kids are bugging me for green tree frogs, anoles, painted toads, etc etc etc.

Sharon

mixing different species of Frogs/Toads should never be tried. The toad will try to eat anything that can fit into it's mouth. Sometimes even if it can't fit it in it's mouth at all!
Another American toad is your only other bet, however it must be the same size and you must keep an eye on them during feeding as they can get 'over-excited' and accidentally grab hold of each other by mistake.

Yeah I was afraid of that. Thanks for the confirmation guys! I needed to hear it from someone else I think lol!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back