What should I try now??

LJW

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Okay, here's some background history on Morph, my axolotl.

I brought him in October last year. All seemed well. Admittedly I didn't know much about them, just followed the advice I got from the aquarium shop. He ate pellets and beef heart. I would tap on the top of his tank and he would swim up to the top to be fed (very cute).

Around Christmas I noticed he had "white fluff" on his gills, and it looked like his skin was flaking off. Researching on the internet brought me to this site. (Yah! :happy:) I followed the instructions for fridging/salt water baths and the fungus cleared.

Since that time he has become a picky eater. All he will eat is the beef. He wont eat the pellets any longer. I've tried earthworms which I thought he was eating, only to find he would spit them out later on. I've tried soaking the worms before hand and cutting them up (gross!). But he still wont eat them. He wont eat frozen bloodworms or prawn. He doesn't "come" to be feed any longer.

As a consequence, he is getting a little scrawny. I feed him in the evening as this is when he seems more likely to eat. All the water parameters and temp are fine and the substrate is sand. The filter doesn't cause a current. He did have a curled tip to his tail, but not any longer.

So has anyone come across an axolotl that doesn't like worms?? Any suggestions as to what I can try/do to stimulate his appetite?

Thanks in advace.

Lesley and Morph.

PS: I'm so glad I came across this site (and so is Morph). The tips and advice I have learnt have been so very helpful - THANK YOU:D

Hi Lesley and Morph,

Firstly you are doing a good job. I think due recognition has to be given to people who demonstrate they are good owners.

There are reasons why your axolotl may become inappetant and lose body condition. You have addressed the main causes such as poor water quality and stressors in the environment like excessive water currents, water temp and using the right substrate. Continue to monitor water parameters, temperature etc. as you are currently doing.

Normally inappetance and losing body condition are the first signs of either stress or an illness. Monitor for signs of illness. Also take note of its faecal excrement. Are there visible excrement around which suggests its eating? How do they appear? Do they look normal? Also check if there are signs of regurgitation. These are normally boluses of ingested food that are regurgitated out in a ball of mucus. Regurgitation could suggest the water temperature is too cold, illness or the food is not fresh.

It is best to continue offering a large variety of food. Do you know what type of earthworms you are feeding? Some type of earthworms emit a nasty taste/smell and can turn off some axolotls. Its still a good idea to soak them in water beforehand before offering. You can also try feeding it whole and live in its wriggly state. Wriggliness is a stimulus for axolotls to feed on them.

Continue offering pellets, earthworms, blackworms, bloodworms, bits of fish and shrimp, beef heart etc.

I sometimes feed my fridged/inappetant axolotls a mash. What i do is i blend the abovementioned ingredients in a food processor such that a doughy mash is formed. I roll the mash into pea sized balls and offer to the axie. It is nutritionally balanced, has a strong smell which attracts axies, easily digestible and can be easily stored. Give it a try and see if it works for you.

If your axolotl continues to lose weight. It might be worth bringing it to your vet who can take blood and faecal samples for analysis. Some parasites especially helminths can cause a protein losing enteropathy, as well as some other protozoan and bacteria microbes.

Cheers

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back