C. Orientalis sexing verification!

Nphec

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all new to the forum been trolling all day reading everything I could. Lots of experience on here!
Anyways after looking at a few pictures and reading about I think my fire belly is a female. The cloaca looks rather small in comparison to how big it could be. It's a juv can't be more than a few months old. Today I was able to get a shot of it's belly. What do you lot reckon, male or female?
n1039358002_248126_8693.jpg

Just wanted to be sure before I named it hehe, plus I eventually might wanna try to make some babies down the line. Thanks!

This does not look like a juvenile of only a few months old. Was it from a pet shop?

I would say it looks male, but I'm notoriously inaccurate at identifying genders.

Yes it was, i'm thinking like 6 months old, the picture does make it look rather large but its just only over an inch long.

If it´s from a pet-shop how do you know the age???
It also looks like a male to me...but it´s not clear.

It's just a pure guess at this point, all I know is he's very tiny. And going from pictures of suposed 6 month olds, hes about roughly the same. I could be way off though, how big does it have to be to be considered adult size? And also will it be more evedent of it's sex when it's bigger and more developed or can you almost immediatly tell regaurdless of age?

I'm tempted to write that it's never possible to ID the sex of a newt at 6 months, but I better not say "never" - I've been around newts long enough to know that there's an exception to every rule! But even at only an inch in length, I think this one is older than a year at least. It just doesn't have the right appearance to be a juvenile. This is no set size at which it would be (or could be) an adult. This one must have stayed small, for whatever reason. It looks healthy, though, and appears to be aquatic, which is good. Best of luck with it!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back