Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Need help?

lollynash

Reaction score
Hoping you can help with a problem. I am a new axolotl owner. Over the last couple of days our axolotl (guapo) has been swimming strangely, almost in a vertical position with his head above the water and looking stressed. He is also floating on the surface with his back slight hunched. We do water changes, clean the filter etc. I will be getting a testing kit to test the water quality. What levels should the water be. Hope I can get some advice.

Laurie

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Laurie,

Im glad you came to caudata.org. If im not mistaken, i responded to your email from the yahoo axolotl site.

Now for the issue at hand. There are many reasons why your axolotl could be floating and swimming oddly. I would try to be as thorough and comprehensive to cover all bases. Stress and illness can definitely cause your axolotl to float and swim oddly. What you can firstly do is to minimise stress by ensuring the following:

Water quality - I remembered i spoke about it briefly in the email. Basically, i would say this is the number one cause of stress in axie. It is good to invest in a colourimetric solution type test kit to monitor your water chemistry regularly. Do not get dipsticks as they are highly inaccurate. You want to aim for 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and , 60 nitrate. pH ideally neutral. Even if the water looks crystal clear and you get high chemistry readings, you must still perform a 20% water change to get the levels down. Use a good dechlorinator solution to treat your water before water changes. Check to see if it neutralises chlorine, chloramine, heavy metals. Some good quality ones also help neutralise ammonia etc. You can keep ammonia levels down by also regularly removing uneaten food, visible axolotl wastes and keeping some live plants which would act as a buffer.

Water condition - Axolotls are cold resistant but heat intolerant. High water temperatures will stress it, predispose it to diseases and ultimately kill it. You want to aim for water temperatures between 16-20 degree celsius. Preferably without much fluctuation. There are chilling methods you can employ to bring the temperature down such as ice bricks or even investing in a marine chiller. Another aspect to watch out for is the presence of excessive water currents such as from a filter. Axolotls prefer still waters. You can try diffuse excessive water currents with a spray bar or direct the filter oulet nozzle towards a glass surface etc.

Environmental - Provide at least 2 hiding places per axolotl. These can be caves, pots, logs etc. They need to retreat to their sanctuary once in a while. Do not use gravel as substrate. Keep your tank bare bottomed or use clean freshwater aquarium sand, children sandpit sand or pool filter sand if you wish. Do not keep other species together with your axolotl. At the very best, you can keep some small feeder fish like guppies and minnows after quarantine, otherwise best to just house axies by themselves. If you have live plants, just 6 hours of aquarium lighting will suffice. There is some debate on use of lighting for axolotls. Many believe axolotls hate the light and will get stressed. In my opinion, if you provide hiding places where they can retreat into the dark, the light may be actually beneficial to some degree. I shan't go into detail here but i strongly believe they have a role in preventing metabolic bone disease.

Miscellaneous - Remember to place your tank in an area of the house away from direct sunlight, shaded and free of excessive human or animal traffic. Also when you clean your tank, you do not want to scrub every surface, nor use boiling water to clean off the slimey layer. You want these beneficial bacteria to colonise your tank to establish a cycled tank.

Nutrition - Offer variety of food. Axolotl pellets, earthworms, bloodworms, blackworms, occasional treats of fish, shrimp, beef heart etc.

Would it be possible if you provided some photos of your affected axie? Did you notice any other signs of illness? Check to see if your axolotl is inappetant, has forward facing gills, has curled tail tip, has discolouration or growths on its body, has shrivelled twisted gills or appears to be changing shape in some way. Often its easier to make a diagnosis after viewing the photos and getting a history of the patient. What do you feed your axolotl?

As an emergency measure, you can fridge your axolotl. Just place the axie in a receptable large enough to fully submerge the axie and allow its limbs and tail to stretch out comfortably. The water should cover the axie but not allow it to float. Use a lid to prevent it jumping out. You have to perform daily water changes with clean dechlorinated water kept in bottles in the fridge. Continue to offer food throughout.

Feel free to private message me if you have any questions. I would get back to your as soon as possible.

Regards

lollynash

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

I got a testing kit - but it was only a nitrate one so need to get another one.

To answer some questions -
The nitrate level was in the .3 range so am going to do a water change.
He is fed a mix of foods, beef heart, pellets, frozen shrimp etc.
The substrate is aquarium sand.
He has a pot to hide in.
The filter is one with a spray bar which directs the flow against the glass at the back of the tank.
The gills aren't facing forward.

I will try and take a photo so you can have a look. How long can they stay in the fridge?

Thanks so much
Laurie Nash

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi laurie,

You have covered most bases on axolotl care and im sure your axie love you for it. Whats most important are ammonia and nitrite levels. Nitrate levels as long as they stay less than 60 will be fine.

Axolotls can actually stay in the fridge for a long time, months even if it necessitates. However you have to change its water daily during this period and still continue to offer a variety of food throughout. Only drawback is you probably cant view your axie for pleasure like you would in a tank so fridging as permanent accomodation probably isnt a good idea. i would recommend fridging to cure it of an illness or to get over a hot spell but not as a forever home.

Cheers

lollynash

Reaction score
I just put up a couple of photos in the gallery in the axolotl section named sick axolotl - guapo. Hope this helps.

Laurie

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi laurie,

I have just seen the two photos you put up. Im afraid with the resolution of the pictures, i couldn't really see in great detail. However there are two things i noticed.

Firstly, it appears as if your axie is losing the fimbriae or feathery filamentous bits of the gill and secondly, in your first picture, it seems as if your axie has a cut/indentation in its tail? Please correct me if i intepreted it wrongly.

Axies can lose the gill filaments due to poor water condition or gill pathology such as fungal or bacteria infection. As a result because of the decreased capacity for oxygen exchange, the axolotl will tend to go to the water surface more to breathe through its rudimentary lung system.
To correct this, again i have to emphasize on monitoring water parameters and performing regular water changes. If there is an infection on the gills, fridging is a good first line treatment.

Secondly, inappetance is really one of those early warning signs of illness. You have offered a good variety of food and it seems you would need ways to stimulate its appetite. Correcting the underlying condition (perhaps water temp or quality etc) will gradually allow your axie to feed more normally again.

However, what you can do now is to again continue offering a large variety of food. Also offer live wriggly earthworms, bloodworms and blackworms. The wriggly motion will stimulate them to feed. If you feed earthworms, try to find out which type of earthworms you are feeding. Some types of earthworms emit a foul tasting and smelling substance that will repel some axies. You can presoak your earthworms in some water for 30min before offering. That would clean out the earthworms and make them more palatable.

Now for the Darkmaverick special. I have tried this with quite some success myself and with 2 other clients before so i thought i shall let you try it out. Some sick axies get inappetant and may have difficulty digesting food as effectively as they are directing the energy reserves to battle the illness. What i do is i try to make easily consumed, palatable food that is easily digestible.

I would make a mash out of blending moistened axie pellets, earthworms, bloodworms, bits of shrimp and non-white fish fillet, even some beef heart in a food processor. The resultant mash is doughy in texture. You can then go on to shape the dough into pea sized portions to feed the axie. The food is nutrionally complete and has a smell which attracts axie. Just drop the balls in front of its face. The balls will retain the shape and not disintegrate. Because its pre pulverised, the food particles are smaller and facilite digestive enzymes to work on the larger surface area. Just give it a go. Hopefully this works for you.

Cheers

lollynash

Reaction score
thanks for the answer. I'll do some shopping and try the food mix. Re the tail - he had that when we purchased him. I haven't noticed any changes with his gills - maybe it is the photo but will keep an eye on it. Can you notice from the photo the hunched posture?

Laurie

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi laurie,

Yes in the pictures i can make out the hunched posture you were referring to. Now that itself is not pathognomic of any disease as it can be anything from a really benign case of needing to 'burp' or 'poop'.

I thought of something though that i thought i should ask. Were you aware if the place you obtained your axolotl from kept it in a tank with gravel before? In some cases of gravel impaction, the axolotl will float and display the hunched posture.

Cheers

lollynash

Reaction score
The aquarium where we bought him from had a bare floor. We've had him now for about 2 months.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1