Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Question about egg collecting

ReiDragon

Reaction score
I already went over the rules with my state and I have the proper licensing for doing this I was just looking for some advice. In the spring I am going to try my hand at rearing some blue spotted salamanders from wild collected eggs. I have a few vernal pools close to my house and have often seen both blue and yellow spotteds in my woods.

My question is what is the safest way to go about collecting and rearing the eggs since they are coming from the wild? I am only planning on taking a few around 8 or so, in case a few don't make it.

The blue spotted eggs should be easier to identify since they do not lay their eggs in large masses like the yellow spotteds do. I would go cb if I could, but we are not allowed to breed or import native species. The only way to obtain them is by wild capture which is legal. You are just limited as to what you can take.

I spoke to my local DNR officer and he said their would be no harm in taking a few eggs as long as I had the proper licences which I have already obtained. So any rearing/collecting advice?

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Find a small clump containing the number of eggs you want. Take it and preferably anything it is attached to so long that is not too large. Also take some water. Note the temperature etc. of the water the eggs are from. Set up the eggs at home with some of their water and wait for hatching. Upon hatching treat as you would any other sallie larvae.

ReiDragon

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Do I need to set up their hatching tank with just pond water then? I suppose mixing it with aged water may mess up parameters a bit. I am also assuming I should take out any nasty bugs like dragonfly larva ect.

ReiDragon

Reaction score
Ok so I tested my tap water (We have a well) and I came up with some odd results. Turns out our water has trace amounts of ammonia in it. My dad is freaking out and saying all we are going to drink is bottled water from now on. In fact he went out and bought some. I told him not to worry but yeah xDDD.

I am using the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master test Kit.
These are the results.
PH ~ 7.2
Ammonia ~ 0.25
Nitrate NO-2 ~ 0
Nitrate NO-3 ~ 0

Is this water safe to use for my larva or should I look into a alternate water source? I just want to be setup before breeding season which is still months away but I want to have things ready so I am not unprepared.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Do I need to set up their hatching tank with just pond water then? I suppose mixing it with aged water may mess up parameters a bit. I am also assuming I should take out any nasty bugs like dragonfly larva ect.

This is actually one of several methods of raising larvae- usually referred to as the "dirty water method" or "pond water method." When the larvae are small, they can feed on micro-fauna, such as daphnia, which are found in the pond water. Once they grow bigger you can begin to supplement their diet with other foods like chopped blackworm, etc. The method is pretty easy until the larvae get larger, but the murky water may not provide you with the greatest of viewing opportunities. It seems to work pretty well- If you do a search, there should be some threads about it.

And yes, make sure to remove any carnivorous insect larvae or other nasty critters that may come in with the water, if you use this method.

Good Luck!

P.S.- If you haven't already read it, this article should be a huge help- http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/raising.shtml

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok so I tested my tap water (We have a well) and I came up with some odd results. Turns out our water has trace amounts of ammonia in it. My dad is freaking out and saying all we are going to drink is bottled water from now on. In fact he went out and bought some. I told him not to worry but yeah xDDD.

I am using the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master test Kit.
These are the results.
PH ~ 7.2
Ammonia ~ 0.25
Nitrate NO-2 ~ 0
Nitrate NO-3 ~ 0

Is this water safe to use for my larva or should I look into a alternate water source? I just want to be setup before breeding season which is still months away but I want to have things ready so I am not unprepared.

Before your father panics, I would recommend running the same tests on the bottled water, for comparison. It's possible that the ammonia is an incorrect reading. Test kits can "go bad".

Until you find out for sure, it's probably better not to use this water for larvae.

[Regarding drinking water, getting a filter, such as Brita or Pur, is much cheaper, produces less trash, and you don't have to haul large amounts of heavy jugs home from the store!]

Also... I commend you for doing all your homework BEFORE taking the eggs from the wild.

ReiDragon

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. <3 I have never been one to keep anything as a pet when unprepared. Heck I researched dog breeds for years before I choose one same with my snakes. It is easier and safer for the pet if you do all your homework beforehand. XD

I will look into water filters and also retest my water. I just bought the test kit a week ago so I doubt it is bad. Maybe I put an extra drop of test solution in or something by accident. Is the PH ok or is it to high?

I will also test my bottled water and post the results as well.

ReiDragon

Reaction score
So tested my tap water again and also tested the bottled water (spring water from Walmart)
Here are the results. Which would be better to use? I made sure to take water directly from the source. Meaning directly from the tap and directly from the gallon jug.

Tap water
PH ~ 7.2
Ammonia ~ 0 (I tested this twice again to make sure. The first time I must have added another drop or something)
Nitrate NO-2 ~ 0
Nitrate NO-3 ~ 0

Bottled water
PH ~ 6.0
Ammonia ~ 0
Nitrate NO-2 ~ 0
Nitrate NO-3 ~ 0

oregon newt

Reaction score
Well, the ph of the bottled water is to acidic. I would go with the tap. It's cheaper than bottled water also.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, I'd use the tap water. Water from a well is likely to have some mineral content, and this is beneficial.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!