Question: Lighting & plants - fb newts

pugant06

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All.

I hope to get some Fire Bellied Newts in the near future and intend to convert a redundant tank sitting in our lounge that was previously used for goldfish that have now gone to a larger pond home.

Just a couple of questions if i can pick a few brains please.

First of all the tank currently accomodates two 20w strip lights. If a bit bright for Newts will just one Aqua 20w strip give sufficient output to support real plants that i hope to establish in the tank?

Secondly, it has a bed of sand at present and general advise seems to be that this is not ideal for Newts. So what size smallest diameter pebbles would an adult Newt not swallow? Pity to get rid of the sand as previous plants rooted very well into it.

Talking plants, what varieties will thrive better at lower temperatures? Tropical ones wont survive 18c but which types will?

Current set up has a Fluval 204 external filter that will go as it gives too much current for Newts as I understand. Any recommendations to a suitable smaller internal type? Tank is currently 130lts capacity but will only be filled 2/3 level for newts with a small land area. I only intend to get 3 or 4 newts as i like to see all our pets have plenty of space.

Lastly I'm looking for contacts as to where to get my Newts from in North Wilts area. Would like to buy private if possible as I've been put off as to how some of these get treated by some establishments if ordered and not in stock. Would like to view and see eating before buying. That said if anyone is looking to re-home any adults i would like to know.

Would probably prefer the slighly larger Japanese FB Newts but Chinese if none available.

Hope I have'nt bored you with too many questions.

Cheers - any advice appreciated.

Tony

Well you'll have to pick a species of FBN and design the tank around that. Aquatic or terrestrial setup?

What kind of plants? Aquatic? Terrestrial, both? Aquatic plants need more light because they're underwater. LOL I'm new to the live plant thing so if I'm wrong about that I'm sorry but thats what I read in my aquarium plant book. The deeper the water the more light you need and some aquatic plants need light in a certain spectrum in order to get/keep the colors you see.

Japanese firebelly -- http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Cynops/C_pyrrhogaster.shtml

Chinese Firebelly -- http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Cynops/C_orientalis.shtml

Paddletail Newt -- http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Pachytriton/Pachytriton.shtml

There are others but those the ones most commonly found in shops.

There is also the temperature. Most newts prefer cool temps. Will your office stay cool?

Good luck with this!! They're great fun!

Sharon

Thanks Sharon
Its the Japanese FB Newts i hope to get but if others come along that are captive bred, fit & healthy i may decide otherwise.
Tank is holding at a steady 18c at moment so heat is not an issue. Office???? I'm a manual worker - LOL
Cheers
Tony

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back