Regurgitating worms

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, just a little query.
Lately I have noticed that when cleaning out my axolotls tank there are bits of worms that look like they've been regurgitated.
Do you think I'm just overfeeding them?
The temperature in the tank is around 18 degrees (on average) and I'm feeding them around 4 or 5 medium sized worms about every 4 days or so. They are both adult axies and they are still just as keen to eat, every day if I let them!
I reduced the frequency in feeds as it is colder here at the moment, I believe this was right?
Also I feed them by hand so I know that each worm goes down!

Thank you.

Hi kerry,

The water temperature is ideal and shouldn't be the cause of the regurgitation. Normally regurgitation occurs at temperatures below 10 degree celsius whereby decomposition might set in before digestion.

The colder the temperature, the less they would be likely to feed and the slower the digestion so reducing the volume per feed and the frequency might be a good idea.

Do you feed chopped segments of worms or do you offer the entire worm? If you feed segments, some might be regurgitated when the axie is trying to expel any sand etc that might be also consumed. If you feed the entire worm, you know at least the bulk of it is in its tummy.

Have you noticed this just recently? Have you changed to another type of earthworm lately? Do you presoak the worms in water beforehand? Some earthworms emit a foul substance that can deter some axies.

Overfeeding is also a possibility as excess food might take a longer time to full digest and hence regurgitated.

Cheers

Hi Ray, thanks for the reply.
I've not changed anything about the way I feed them, the worms they eat, (I feed them whole worms from my wormery) or anything else.
Perhaps as I'm feeding them less frequently I'm overfeeding them at each sitting because I feel sorry for them! I think that's most likely, if you don't think there's anything else going on, thanks again, Kerry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back