Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Wuper Looper, Axolotl

r24111

Reaction score
Hello. I am from Japan. In Japan, Axolotl is called "Wuper looper". They first introduced to Japanese people in 80's on a TV commercial for fried noodle "UFO" as an alien who came to the Earth to advertize the noodle!! They were so pretty, and they become poppular in Japan.
One of my wupers is golden color with black eyes:happy:. Isn't it rare type???

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. We're glad to have you. I, too, have a gold colored axolotl with black eyes.

pawziclawzi

Reaction score
welcome! A Wuper Looper eh? thats very interesting. You should upload some photos of your goldie...I would love to see it!

r24111

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I have just uploaded my photos on the Gallary. Please see it.
(To tell the truth, All English page is very hard to me, and I can not deal with this web site enough...)

I reseached why my wuper looks like such way, and looked for others which looks like it.
And I found gene reconbinant "GFP axolotl" which looks like mine...
But in Japan, gene reconbinant creature is not permitted except for closed labolatry in law.
So, I blieve my wuper is not reconbinant type but "normal golden color with black eyes". But I don't sure really...
I got it in open public market, at a pet shop near my house. It was sold as a normal white body with black eyes, but somewhat looked yellow. Her face is just like it :happy:.

welcome! A Wuper Looper eh? thats very interesting. You should upload some photos of your goldie...I would love to see it!

r24111

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.
Do you have golden with black eyes?
I want to see it!

Welcome to the forum. We're glad to have you. I, too, have a gold colored axolotl with black eyes.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Hehe, that commercial is pretty funny! Thank you for sharing! Nissin makes some good noodles- I just had some yesterday.

r24111

Reaction score
This TV commercial was broadcasted in 80's.
About 25 years ago!!
So most Japanese people, over 30 years old, know "Wuper Looper".
But young people might not know or not have seen "Wuper Looper".

You can hear how "Wuper Looper" is pronounced in the song.
So, Listen carefully again!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1