Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Survival rates of young axies

Jenksie

Reaction score
Another member of the forums has kindly offered me some young axies (approx 6 days old). I hope to end up with 2 adults, what is the approximate survival rate of axies from 1 week old to adult?

Didn't want to ask for 10 axies if the survival rate is 90%, or ask for 2 if the rate is 10% :eek:

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I will venture to say that if you have the right food for them (i.e., microfoods - more info here), you may have a 100% survival rate. I would suggest that you consider how many adults you can comfortably house and start with that number of larvae. Should something happen along the way, it is better to try and find new larvae/axolotls than to need to find homes for surplus.

Good luck to you and the little ones!

-Eva

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with Blue. Under the right conditions and no mishaps, you can expect nearly 100%. Under real-life conditions, it's anywhere from 100% down to 0%, you just never know what will happen. I would suggest raising a few extras and either giving them back, or giving them to other interested parties.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1