Infrared Newt Video

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On discovering there was an infrared function on my video camera, I took it upon myself to lurk around in my newt room, like a lunatic, in the pitch dark waiting for something to happen.

Not much did but I know you all enjoy a video so here it is...
complete with ghostly soundtrack.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhf_VcVdrIY

That was really fun to watch! I especially liked the infrared shot of the maculatum.

What is being eaten at 1:13 ?

That raised a chuckle or two ( good choice of music!) ....very enjoyable Mark.

Very cool video Mark. Loved the eyes on some of them, looked very cool.

This video has confirmed my suspicion: crested newts do mate 24/7!

Hi Mark!
Great vid, you have a huge collection of animals!
I admire you.

I second Gregh, I want this on my iPod too! Would you mind sending your video to me? I won't try to pass it off as my own, of course.

IanFaux – in answer to your question on Youtube the species at 0:46 is Eurycea guttolineata. The other plethodontid featured is Desmognathus conanti.

Jen – I failed to get good footage of other species courting but the Triturus, Mesotriton, Cynops and of course Pleurodeles were all observed courting in the dark. They’re like “Bacardi” – any time, any place, anywhere.

Would you mind sending your video to me?
The file is too large to email. My I-pod has Youtube built in but I suppose it depends which model you have – there’s a new one every week :rolleyes:.

IanFaux – in answer to your question on Youtube the species at 0:46 is Eurycea guttolineata. The other plethodontid featured is Desmognathus conanti.

Jen – I failed to get good footage of other species courting but the Triturus, Mesotriton, Cynops and of course Pleurodeles were all observed courting in the dark. They’re like “Bacardi” – any time, any place, anywhere.

The file is too large to email. My I-pod has Youtube built in but I suppose it depends which model you have – there’s a new one every week :rolleyes:.

Allrighty. Then can I have your permission to use a downloader to download the file off Youtube?

That was an awesome video. Which species was it eating the mealworm at 1:13?

Allrighty. Then can I have your permission to use a downloader to download the file off Youtube?

Feel free. You'll have to be quick though because youtube will probably mute the music for infringing copyright.

Really enjoyed it, and nice piece of music indeed!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back