hello from Atlantic Canada

Shelleyf

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Shelleyf
Hi,
I got into Newts about 4 years ago when I convinced my Fiance then boyfriend to get a fire belly newt after he killed all of his fish. My cousin has a 20 year old fire belly and he does nothing with it so I figured it was a fool proof pet.

He ended up getting a male and a female. They laid eggs but none survived past a few weeks. The mother escaped from the tank and died as result. Once we moved in together we got a new female newt and now we have Highlander their surviving offspring from 12 eggs laid back in march. the poor little guy isn't developing the way I had hoped but he's as active as ever and has the cutest little newt toes.

Most of my pet experience is around Land hermit crabs so I hope to learn lots about keeping fire bellys and possibly other newts in the future.

Biggest newt pet peeve is how our local pet store keeps newts and fiddler crabs in the same enclosure. Any suggestions on how to stop this practice would be most helpful.

HI & Welcome!

The best you can do in regards to the petshop is to talk to them and talk to them and talk to them. Eventually they cave. Logic doesn't seem to work much. But you could try pointing out the loss of stock due to poor husbandry. Good luck!

Sharon

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back