Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Gravel for a Ribbed Newt

Repguy27

Reaction score
What would be a good size gravel for a Spanish Ribbed Newt. I have had sand before and I dont like it at all and would like to avoid it if possible. It keeps getting caught in my filter and takes forever for the water to clear again once stirred (it all goes into the filter). I think gravel looks a lot nicer too. How big exactly are the newt's mouths? Any help would be appreciated. (The other threads do not refer to Ribbed Newts specifically)

wargar

Reaction score
I've used stone chippings like the kind you would put down for a garden path. They are to large for them to swallow but small enough for them to turn over and root about in.

Dave1812

Reaction score
P. Waltl are Europe's biggest newt and can grow up to 12 inches in the wild, but usually grow to around 8 inches; they are greedy, opportunistic feeders, with a very large mouth!
Mine are currently around 5 - 6 inches, I've had them for just under a year and have a gravel (size 1/4 inch) bottomed set up. I generally feed earthworms with feeding tongs to the individual newt and I have a feeding dish for things like frozen bloodworm. You can use submerged jars that contain the food to prevent/help with the husbandry.
Hope this helps.

Dave1812

Reaction score
It should be fine - having said that are you going to feed using tongs or are you going to place the food on a gravel free area. As the newts go into the feeding frenzy the food will be moved by the "swishing" of the tail and will end up all over the place. I can only say that to date I have had no issues using gravel. Good luck and enjoy your newts.

benw

Reaction score
I always use silver sand or play sand on the bottom of my tanks, especially when i had axolotls, and still use it now for my ribbed newts and even the fire bellied toads.

I just dont want the risk of gravel inpaction, especially when you have put a lot of effort into growing them on, and it must be distressing for the animal.

Just my view on it, and what works for me

Ben

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve kept P.waltl for 16 years and can honestly say the best substrate is none at all. I use large slate rock for decoration and to create hides.

These are big newts with big appetites and therefore produce big volumes of waste. Gravel just traps this waste and causes a cleaning headache.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
produce big volumes of waste

I'll say! I have such trouble keeping their water clean. Everytime I turn around, it's cloudy. It's the only tank I have that I have trouble with cloudy water. I'm constantly doing water changes. I decided I'm going to step up the vegetation in that tank, maybe that'll help some.

Repguy27

Reaction score
Are they really that messy? I have a duetto submersible filter in a 10 gallon tank. Would it be cloudy if I feed it in another tank or is the newt itself just make a lot of waste?

ScottzNewtz

Reaction score
I keep pea gravel with my newts of all sizes and have not had a problem. To back up the in-tank Fluval I also run an old fashioned under gravel filter with airstones. I'm considering switching to bare bottom and seeing how that is. Might start going bare with my dwarf frog tank since they have huge appetites and are messy!

Newthanial

Reaction score
I keep pea gravel with my newts of all sizes and have not had a problem. To back up the in-tank Fluval I also run an old fashioned under gravel filter with airstones. I'm considering switching to bare bottom and seeing how that is. Might start going bare with my dwarf frog tank since they have huge appetites and are messy!
I personally think the bare bottom is best for the newts to slide them chunky bellies across the smooth glass surface. I personally think they feel their environment more than they actually see it and idk bout you but I like the feel of smooth and cold on my big belly 😄. Plus when doing water changes is 10× whole lot easier. With my ribs they're less than a year old but the size of their droppings is very large and unmistakable compared to my other amphibians. I like to use a turkey baister and suck the turds out when I see them it sounds gross but works as great fertilizer for plants!

Attachments

• 20240112_093830.jpg
    20240112_093830.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 43
  • 20240103_084731.jpg
    20240103_084731.jpg
    944.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20240103_084644.jpg
    20240103_084644.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 35
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1