chinese and japanese???

fire_newt

Reaction score
Country
United States
can i put a japanese firebelly newt in my tank with 2 chinese firebellies???

I'd say no, although both species are similar, the Japanese species tends to grow larger than the Chinese species. There may also be aggression between species. Mixing in general is a poor idea.

owner of the website and the newts keeps the two species together without any problems

Just because one person has not experienced any problems yet does not mean that keeping the two species together is a good idea. It is true that some people have kept different Cynops species together with some success, but personally, I think it would be much better to just keep two separate tanks. One for C.pyrrhogaster and one for C.orientalis. That way, there isn't even the chance for any problems to arise.

The two species will interbreed, which is another good reason to not put them together. I would say it's OK to put them together only if you can answer a firm "yes" to all of the following questions: (1) Is the tank at least a 20-long in size or larger with plenty of plants and hides? (2) If they lay eggs will you throw the eggs away? (3) Will you hand-feed in order to ensure that all newts have an equal opportunity to get the food? (4) Do you have a backup tank available in case you need to separate them? (5) Have all newts been quarantined to guard against new germs spreading from the newcomer?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back