Possible lead in decorations?

ferret_corner

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Display Name
Sharon
I wasn't sure if this belonged here or in sick axolotl. Mine are all fine.

But there have been a couple of sick axies here recently where anemia was suggested.

I don't know if this applies to those axolotls or not but it got me to wondering....

China has shipped us so much contaminated food and so many toys why not our aquarium ornaments?

I was going to buy some miniature bridges what not from the petshop but out of habit I picked the item up and looked underneath - Made In China. I kinda bit my lip and decided against it.

If our food can have melamine and our childrens toys have lead? Why not our aquarium items? I'm rather grateful right now that I went for rather naturalistic tanks with no man made items but that rather restricts me in purchasing anything else.

Could lead in tank items have made those axolotls ill? What does lead poisoning in an amphibian look like?

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

I think you brought up a good point. I dare not make the assumption that tank decorations from china would be defective in that sense, however, it is true that lead poisoning can lead to anaemia.

Lead poisoning occurs obviously when the axie ingests lead that has been introduced into the tank. It could be decorations, it could be paint material of sorts, weights and even insulation. The rate at which the signs appear depends on the amount of lead poisoning and for how long a duration.

Lead affects many body organs especially the gastrointestinal system and the nervous system. The early symptoms would include inappetance, regurgitation, constipation and thereafter black tarry stools that can be very poorly formed (axie diarrhoea). Neural signs then start developing. Floating, twitching, spasms, blindness, seizures, incoordination, constantly opening and closing the jaws and swimming in a strange circular manner. Anaemia can subsequently result as well causing a very obvious pallor throughout the skin and gills. Death than occurs.

To test for lead toxicity, a blood sample can be taken from the axie for microscopic examination. A blood smear will often reveal abnormal erythrocytes. Water in the tank can also be tested. In the event the axie perished, a post mortem biopsy of the liver can be performed to test for lead.

Cheers

I believe you are on to something, here. Lead is a common ingredient in ceramic glazes, and is omitted only in those meant to be in contact with food. I would consider it safe to ASSUME that lead is in the glazes for ceramic ornaments, and I would definitely not put them in an aquarium.

And I do risk assessment for a living. :)

G'day Sharon,

I have never been particularly concerned about the metals, whether they be heavy or transition, affecting aquatic species.

Lead (Pb) can be classed under 'micronutrients' in the tank. Micronutrients inlcude other metals such as cadmium, copper, iron, zinc, etc., and are only toxic at high levels. In order for these metals (including Pb) to be toxic, they must exist in either the ionic or free molecular form. Even then, there is enough oxygen in the tank to oxidise metal ions. Oxidised metals are inert, non-toxic, and also insoluble. Though, a slight decline in pH can convert them back to metal ions, in which case, they will be toxic.

It may also be worth noting that pH affects the solubility of metals. If you perform a 'Google' search, you will find that each metal has a defined solubilty at a certain pH. Generally speaking, lower pH levels have a greater effect on the metal's solubilty (i.e. making it a metal ion and, thus, toxic).

Having said that, it would be reasonable to assume that metal traces are toxic to animal's well-being. True. The reason why I don't stress about Pb-poisoning is because you have in your tank naturally developed humic substances that act as chelators. Chelators are either organic or artifically-produced molecules that actively chelate (grabs) inorganic ions, which includes metal ions.

There are products (i.e. Prime) in the market that claim to expell heavy metals from the water. While this may be true, I'd imagine that it would only work if the synthetic chelator, ethyline diaminne tetracetic acid (EDTA), has been added to bottle.

Dissolved organic carbon, including proteins/polypeptides/amino acids, also chelate metals ions. So, really, I see no cause for concern regarding trace metals in the tank. Essentially, micronutrients are only toxic at higher concentrations.

You can also take solace in knowing that plants readily take up micronutrients. Duckweed is particularly good for this purpose. This plant can store an exceeding amount of micronutrients within its tissue. When cleaning the tank, you can simple remove the duckweed, and effectively export the micronutrients, too.

Activated carbon/charcoal is another advancement in chemical filtration that aids in the adsorption of many heavy metals. These chemical media can be "spent", so they must be replaced every 3 months or so.

Darkmaverick said:
Lead poisoning occurs obviously when the axie ingests lead that has been introduced into the tank.

I believe it would be more detrimental if unchelated-Pb passed through the gills and was directly absorbed. In any case, I think if an axolotl did ingest a metal it would be chelated, and also non-toxic. Also, ingested chelated metals will rapidly bind to the organic molecules present in the axolotl's digestive system, and will passed through in its faeces.

ferret_corner said:
But there have been a couple of sick axies here recently where anemia was suggested.

Axolotls have many mutant genes, one which is specific for anemia. It is denoted an. Basically, this mutant gene affects the transition of haemoglobin from a larval to an adult type, as demonstrated by R. R. Humphrey.

Hopefully you can see why I'm not overly worried about the presence of trace micronutrients. But, of course, a case like Minamata has proved to be most devastating :(

Jay.

::: sigh ::: Jay I am no longer concerned about heavy metals in my tanks water, although since I don't have any ceramics or glazed items I never really was...

However? Minamata? Elucidate please?

Sharon

I think Jay is referring to the methyl mercury contamination of Minamata bay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minamata_disease

Lead from glazes or even lead weights used by aquarists to hold down plants does not dissolve easily in neutral or alkaline water. Don't get too paranoid about using decorations for artistic effects if you want.

Last edited:
I don't use substrate in any of my tanks, just a few large pretty rocks, though I did scatter some of those glass beads they sell in bags in the dollar and craft stores. Some have cute shapes too, like stars or even little clamshells. Well, I was using some and I had some mysterious newt deaths, I was trying all kinds of variables, and finally decided it might be the colored glass beads. They may or may not have been the culprit. Some of them, in addition to being colored, have a sort of opalescent effect on them. I just got rid of them all. Any opinions? I don't know if they were the source or not, and I do miss using them, as they were pretty.

Hi all,

What a fantastic post Jay. You have allayed a lot of fears from lead poisoning. I agree with Kal El and Oceanblue that the chances of lead poisoning will be extremely slim unless there is an overwhelming load introduced and the tank's water is so poorly managed it has dipped to really acidic conditions.

There are many causes of anemia. Malnutrition (micronutrients like some vitamin complexes, iron) , parasites such as helminthes, protein losing enteropathies, occult blood loss, anemia of chronic disease can all cause anemia. Jay has also brought up genetic predisposition as a cause. Lead poisoning, although agreeably rare, can also lead to anemia. A haematologist/pathologist can distinguish the types of anemia based on blood count, reticulocyte count and morphological characteristics of the erythrocytes. For example, acanthocytes (bite marks) can suggest an autoimmune basis, basophilic stippling can indicate toxicity, whether the cell is hyper or hypo chromic and cytic etc. Here are some articles that can provide more detailed information on lead toxicity induced anemia.

Title: In vivo effects of lead on erythrocytes following chronic exposure through drinking water.
Author(s): Lee MooYeol, Shin JungHun, Han HeeShim, et al.
Source: Archives of Pharmacal Research Volume: 29 Issue: 12 Pages: 1158-1163 Published: 2006

Title: Adverse haematological outcome and environmental lead poisoning.
Author(s): Fontana, V., Baldi, R., Franchini, M., et al.
Source: Journal of Exposure Analysis and Environmental Epidemiology Volume: 14 Issue: 2 Pages: 188-193 Published: 2004

Title: Interactions between iron deficiency and lead poisoning: epidemiology and pathogenesis.
Author(s): Kwong, W. T., Friello, P., Semba, R. D.
Source: Science of the Total Environment Volume: 330 Issue: 1/3 Pages: 21-37 Published: 2004

Title: Blood lead levels, clinico-pathological findings and erythrocyte metabolism in dogs from different habitats.
Author(s): Ghisleni, G., Spagnolo, V., Roccabianca, P., et al.
Source: Veterinary and Human Toxicology Volume: 46 Issue: 2 Pages: 57-61 Published: 2004

Title: Relation between reticulocyte count and characteristics of erythrocyte 5-nucleotidase in dogs, cats, cattle and humans.
Author(s): Hossain, M. A., Yamato, O., Yamasaki, M., et al.
Source: Journal of Veterinary Medical Science Volume: 65 Issue: 2 Pages: 193-197 Published: 2003

It is true that in the event of lead poisoning in axolotls, direct absorption through the gills would prove more dangerous, although the skin will also be one of the first organs to cop its effect. However, ingestion of lead can still lead to toxicity. The axolotl’s gastrointestinal tract is that of a simple carnivorous animal; with acidic pH conditions to aid digestion (and can also thus convert lead to its toxic form). Lead ingestion is also the number one route that cause toxicity in both mammal and man. However, we would also have to account for the period of exposure (acute/chronic) and the amount of lead toxicity, as well as the original condition of the axolotl (for eg. Lacking in vitamins such as B complex, E or C can cause a more profound effect).

Here are some articles that discuss the physiology behind lead ingestion as well as signs and symptoms.

Title: Serum protein profile and blood cell counts in adult toads Bufo arenarum (Amphibia: Anura: Bufonidae): effects of sublethal lead acetate.
Author(s): Chiesa, M. E., Rosenberg, C. E., Fink, N. E., et al.
Source: Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology Volume: 50 Issue: 3 Pages: 384-391 Published: 2006

Title: Estimation of the sublethal toxicity of lead nitrate in the air-breathing fish Channa striata employing certain haematological parameters.
Author(s): Rinkoo Devi, Banerjee, T. K.
Source: Biochemical and Cellular Archives Volume: 7 Issue: 2 Pages: 185-191 Published: 2007

Title: Effect of lead intoxication on acetylcholinesterase activity in freshwater fish Cyprinus carpio (Linn) fingerlings.
Author(s): Pugazhendy, K., Jayanthi, C., Devi, M. S., et al.
Source: Biochemical and Cellular Archives Volume: 7 Issue: 2 Pages: 309-312 Published: 2007

Title: Acute lead toxicosis in a harbor seal (Phoca vitulina richardsi) consequent to ingestion of a lead fishing sinker.
Author(s): Zabka, T. S., Haulena, M., Puschner, B., et al.
Source: Journal of Wildlife Diseases Volume: 42 Issue: 3 Pages: 651-657 Published: 2006

Title: Lead poisoning in animals.
Author(s): McIntosh, I. G.
Source: Veterinary Bulletin Volume: 2 Issue: 1 Pages: 57-60 Published: 1956

Title: Oral lead poisoning in birds of prey.
Foreign Title: Orale Bleivergiftung bei Greifvogeln (Falconiformes) - Vorlaufige Mitteilung.
Author(s): Stehle, S.
Source: Kleintierpraxis Volume: 25 Issue: 5 Pages: 309-310 Published: 1980

Title: Lead poisoning in fish. Study of the intestinal absorption of glycocoll, of carbohydrate metabolism and various biological parameters in the trout and rudd, in the presence of lead.
Foreign Title: Recherches sur le saturnisme chez les poissons.
Author(s): Peres, G., Demael, A., Garin, D., et al.
Source: Bulletin de la Societe des Sciences Veterinaires et de Medecine Comparee de Lyon Volume: 77 Issue: 1 Pages: 47-62 Published: 1975

Title: Lead poisoning in cattle, horses, cats, and dogs as reported by 11 colleges of veterinary medicine in the United States and Canada from July, 1968, through June, 1972.
Author(s): Priester, W. A., Hayes, H. M.
Source: American Journal of Veterinary Research Volume: 35 Issue: 4 Pages: 567-569 Published: 1974

Apologies for the list of references. Coincidentally i have a colleague who is doing her research thesis on lead toxicity, hence i got all these references easily.

Regards

Gosh, I was only going to note that in several European countries, it is illegal to use lead weights or hooks on fishing lines to prevent lead poisoning of the wildlife, with maybe a note if it hasn't been mentioned above to remove the lead weights from plants before putting them in a tank. But after all that documentation, it seems like something of a "widdle duckies and fishies" kind of comment. :eek:

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back