Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi there!

bufonid1

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here!
I've been keeping herps for quite a while, but my newt/salamander experience is pretty limited, so when I saw some really, really cool warty newts at the pet store today I joined to find out more. I think I have to have one or two of them...
My critters, at present, include several species of geckos, three kinds of skinks, and a wide variety of frogs and toads. In the past I've had a tiger salamander, a dusky salamander, and an Eastern newt (not together or even all at once).
Hopefully all of you can help me become as confident with newts and salamanders as I am with my other critters.

Bufonid1

cichlidjedi

Reaction score
Hi Bufonid1

The warty newts at a pet store by you may be Paramesotriton hongkongensis or Paramesotriton chinensis

Their really cool species that eat just about anything. You might want to print off the seven species with pictures on the Salamandridae Species database .
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Salamandridae.shtml

There are so many great Caudate keepers on this site and many have helped me out. Also be sure to snap pictures and post them so you can get an ID on what species you get. Also keep an eye on the For Sale section there are many breeders with some great captive breed animals. Welcome Bufonid :)
http://www.caudata.org/forum/../cc/species/Paramesotriton/P_chinensis.shtml

bufonid1

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

Well, I went ahead and got two newts. One is pretty definitely a male, and the other was the one newt they had that may be a female (or it may not). The newts are definitely a species of Paramesotriton, but I haven't yet figured out which one. I have them set up very simply for now, with just a couple of inches of water and a hiding place/island. So far if they're coming out of the water, they're doing it at night; mostly they seem to hide under their rock. I'm letting them settle in a bit before pestering them to get photos, but I'll try to take some this weekend. Maybe someone can tell me whether the second one is actually a female (my usual luck is to wind up with two males).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1