Best Staple Diet For Semi-Adult Axolotl?!?!?

axygirl20

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, kind of new to the site and also to keeping axolotls.
I've recently lost one and feel it may have been the diet.
What is the best thing i can feed my remaining semi-adult male?
I understand some things such as pinkies are only to be used a treats.
Please help, any advice is much excepted.
Thank-you (in advance)

xox Jodie xox​

Hi Jodie, what are you feeding your axie at the moment? Earthworms are, I gather, the best option for food for axolotls. They are nutritionally all they need, though some people recommend you offer a variety of foods. It's all I've fed my two (and the babies once they were big enough) earthworms are easy to get too, I buy mine online from a company that offers all sorts of worms for fishing bait, composting and pet food. I keep a small wormery that gives me an endless supply of worms!
Check out the link for more information on feeding:

http://www.axolotl.org/feeding.htm

Hey kerry thanks for that and will look on the website, guessing as axel is big-ish id be able to feed them whole??
Which company is it that you get yours from? Where can i get a wormery to?
Am sorting out a quarrintene tank and am definatly interested in having one of your babies if its still ok?
It's a bit better seeing and i know you and no i can rely on them being in good health etc.
Will be in touch about having a look etc....
Hopfully see you soon
Mum and dad send there love (same from me, zara and axel)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back