Buying axolots online...?

skittles

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it safe to buy an axolotl online? I mean, I imagine they go through a shipping process to get to a pet store anyway... I just wonder if anyone knows if I am going to pay way more than I would at a local store. (none of them carry them... can't seem to order either?)
Also, can anyone recommend any online sources?

Thanks a lot.

Hi skittles,

I have never ordered live animals online before, but i would recommend that you obtain your axolotls from a reputable breeder instead.

There are advantages of obtaining them good breeders. The breeders are experienced and know what they are doing, thus ensuring the axolotls are bred with health and welfare in mind. They also tend to have a wider selection of colours.

Proximity permitting, if you could also meet up the breeder and axies beforehand, you would get a better idea of how the axies look like, whether they are healthy etc. before you make your purchase. A lot of the breeders will also be more than happy to answer your questions on axolotl care.

Although it appears much more convenient placing your axolotls online, you are not guaranteed the axie you purchase is in ideal form.

Cheers.

Try looking through the For Sale section here...

I didn't have a whole lot of luck in there, that's why I posted in here.

Most axolotls are seasonal breeders. The odd thing is that the season starts at different times in different collections. For me I normally have juveniles for sale in late spring and summer. I think mine are breeding a little late because my basement has intentionally been cooled down.

Keep watching the for sale area and axys should pop up for sale. Because of shipping cost it might be cheaper to purchase an axolotl at a pet store. For a purchase of a few it is often less expensive to buy on caudata.org

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back