Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

TX Press: 4th-graders taking second shot at naming a state amphibian

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
HOUSTON CHRONICLE (Texas) 16 January 09 4th-graders taking second shot at naming a state amphibian (David Saleh Rauf)
Austin: The fourth-graders at Danbury Elementary School just won’t give up.
In 2007, about 50 of them lobbied Rep. Dennis Bonnen to carry legislation designating the Texas blind salamander as the state’s official amphibian. Gov. Rick Perry vetoed it, saying the blind salamander wasn’t representative enough: It is found only in Hays County.
“Our students left school and thought it was passed, not thinking the governor would veto,” said Ace Filipp, a librarian for the Danbury Independent School District. “They were disappointed. A lot of them said they were going to write letters.”
But instead of writing letters to Perry, a new crop of fourth-graders decided to give the law-making process another shot.
This time, they are proposing the Texas toad, and Bonnen, R-Angleton, has again joined their crusade with a House resolution to declare it the official state amphibian.
“I assured them that if they wanted to go through the process again I would help them,” Bonnen said.
After a school election — in which students campaigned with political posters — the Texas toad emerged as the victor, defeating four other amphibians: the barred tiger salamander, Strecker’s chorus frog, cliff chirping frog and the Houston toad.
The Texas toad is roughly 3 inches long with dark spots on its back and is heralded in the resolution as having the “hardy determination that Texans are known for.”
“Possessing a Buddha-like visage, this notable creature is a common sight across much of Texas, and its indomitable spirit and unique relationship with the state for which it was named make it a most appropriate symbol of the Lone Star State,” the resolution reads.
“This time we forewarned the students that a veto was a possibility,” Filipp said.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6216179.html

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1