Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fully aquatic....

C

cerius

Hello all. I thought I'd say hello as well as ask a "general" question....
Are there any other fully-aquatic newts/salamanders that are smaller than axolotl? I'm looking for one that would leave larger snails and fish alone....I was just wondering if one existed...thanks :)

Lee31

Reaction score
Hello all. I thought I'd say hello as well as ask a "general" question....
Are there any other fully-aquatic newts/salamanders that are smaller than axolotl? I'm looking for one that would leave larger snails and fish alone....I was just wondering if one existed...thanks :)

Well alot of the cynops orientalis newts (fire bellied) are mostly if not 100% aquatic, they will lwave larger snails alone but will readily eat small fish say up to 25mm long...any bigger and they should be ok.

Lee

ferret_corner

Reaction score
Hi & welcome

There is also the fact that larger fish will pick on or eat the smaller newts.

Sharon

C

cerius

I was reading fire-bellied newts should at least have some place to come up for air...even if they never went on to it....this would bother me to no end if I made part of an aquarium terrestrial and the newt never used it...

T

tylototriton

You don't need to necessarily make a terrestrial area. Anything floating or sitting just above the waters surface and allows them to "haul out" will work. They make turtle haul-outs that work wonderfully for this purpose.

Alex

clairet

Reaction score
Hi
i have chinese fire bellied newts, and they spend most of their time on the 'land' areas of their tank and don't venture into the water very much.

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
I have C.cyanurus (Blue tailed Fire belly newts) which are in the Cynops genius and are much more aquatic than my Chinese fire belly. All of these newts need to take air from the surface and should have a small floating island to get out of water if needed. With that being said I have a tiny cork float and I hardly even see them on it. They rest on the floating plants most of the time but these only break the surface so the newts are not out of the water

Putting newts with other species is not a great idea. Make sure you have the tank setup for newts and if you can have some cold water small fish or snails then proceed. To be honest you might think its cool to have everything together but once you get a newt you will realize they are all you need!

Mitch

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Yeah, you won't really need a land section per se...just a haulout. However, putting fish with newts generally causes problems. I'm sure you've read the mixing disasters thing. But on a more minor note I've noticed that fish sometimes pick and wounds on newts(and even well healthy newts can get them because of feeding brawls).

Pleurodeles waltl are one of the most aquatic newts(even in the wild they will spend all year in the water if they can)...but will probably eat any fish small enough to fit.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!