Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Daphnia

Reaction score
Hello, I was looking on ebay and I found some daphnia for sale. There are selling 500 for $9.99. I was wondering if I could buy these and put them in with some salamander larvae for food. Could they survive in my tank long enough to get eaten? Also would I put all 500 in at once?

B

bcs

Hello, I think it would be best to put them in at like four different times, 1/4 each time. So they would last longer, and not just die in the aquarium. But that is if you have room to store them.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How big is the tank, 454? And how many larvae in it? Without knowing this, how in the world could we even begin to answer your question?? Salamanderman's answer is sensible, but if you have a large tank and a lot of larvae it might be reasonable to put them all in.

If you don't put them all in, you need a separate (largish) container, and you'll need to feed the daphnia to keep them alive and nutritious.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1