Rolling Salamanders

Great footage!

This is why I never mind paying my TV license fee!

Interestingly enough back home in the south of France people are persuaded that all species of snake can do that, I even got into an argument with my biology teacher over that. (the guy also told the class that 'ecologists' were using helicopters to releasing adders in the wild :talker:)

I saw that video just the other say, anyone know what species of Salamander that is? I actually asked on the video, but it seems no-one knows.

I've heard about rolling behavior in certain desert animals (I think it was spiders) as a means of escape. According to Kentwood Wells in his "The Ecology and Behavior of Amphibians" this species is Hydromates platycephalus. Similar behavior is also apparently found in a toad, Oryophrynella. Like I said, I hadn't heard about this behavior in amphibians before today. Gotta love BBC and David Attenborough.

Alex

Hmm, I can't watch the movie fo to embed problems, but I did see a video of something similar to this awhile ago, I remember the salamander looking similar to the arboreal salamander Aneides lugubris . Is there other species that do this?

I couldn't watch it from this thread either, but found the title directly at youtube easily enough.

-Eva

They are real close to where I am from here in California, I could get to there with about a 3 hour drive to the southeast. I think it would be cool to catch these little guys on video doing that.

That was amazing! I can't imagine how long it took to gather all that footage. I never heard of an animal doing that but what an amazing way to escape predation.

If you click on the video it will bring it up at youtube for you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back