Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Black fungus

Celeste

Reaction score
Hi everyone!!!

My question is not about axies, but i thought someone could help me, so here it is. I have little tank with plants and an apple snail. It has developed black patches in the silicone where one wall
attaches to another. How can I take it away? Is it safe to put some of this plants in my axies´ tank?

Thanks!!!

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Celeste,

Do you have your tank near a light source (even attenuated light) such as a window, lamps etc?

I suspect that 'black fungus' is likely to be algae. Have a read through this article.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Tank_critters.shtml

Other than for cosmetic reasons, algae can be beneficial. Uses up excess nitrogenous wastes as food and produces oxgyen much like decorative live plants. It would therefore prevent ammonia and nitrite spikes. There will be no harm done to your axies. Your apple snail will also have a good feast.

If you want to get rid of the algae, here are some methods.
  • Reduce the amount of light. Move the tank away from the window, or run the aquarium lamp less.
  • Do partial water changes more often. This will help reduce the level of nitrates and phosphates in the water, thus providing less fertilizer for the algae.
  • Roll up your sleeves. Sometimes the only reasonable way to remove algae is to pull it out or wipe it off by hand. An aquarium cleaning pad will remove most algae, but some kinds require a straight-edge razor blade to scrape off.
  • Get a snail. However, snails tend to be somewhat selective about what kinds of algae they will eat, and some kinds of algae (such as black brush algae) will escape them entirely. Also, some large snails may pose a threat to your amphibians.
  • Allow some algae to grow in inconspicuous places. The algae that is allowed to grow will consume nutrients, thus making it less likely that algae will erupt in the places where you don't want it. Managing algae is NOT the same as weeding your garden, where you want to eradicate every last weed!
  • Be patient, and keep up with regular tank maintenance. After a tank is well established, algae problems usually subside.
Do not use algae eating fish or any sorts and never use chemicals to rid algae in your tank.

Cheers

Celeste

Reaction score
Hi Darkmaverick!

Thanks!! Yes, the tank gets a lot of light. I will follow your suggestions, I hope I can get rid of it... It is a relief to know it is algae, I read the article about critters, but couldnt find something similar.

I was just a little bit scared, because this black stuff seems to be underneath the silicone too!!

Thank you!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1