What Kind of filter do you use for your newt tanks

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I have found several problems with all kinds of filters.

Internal ones, create a high current in small aquariums wich makes it unsuitable for many species. For big aquariums are simply Insufficient. Also have the problem of heating the water.

External ones are expensive, specialy if you have many tanks. Also, the places where the pipes join the acuarium, create gaps wich can help your newts scaping.

Undergravel filters keeps too many waste in the bottom of the tank. Also they need gravel, wich is a threat form many newts.

Wich one do you use?

Wich problems have you found?

Last edited:
No filter, works perfectly, cheap, doesn't warm the water and doesn't create gaps.

I just use a hose to vacuum the tank once every week/two weeks.

(it of course depends on your tank and species if this is an option)

I have always had good results with an air pump and internal box filter
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/filters.htm

They do a good job of filtering, dont scare the newts much if at all , and are easy to clean.
I also do a weekly partial water change in all my set ups

Hi felizycontento,

I have Rena filstar, like this :

14.jpg

and I haven't got problems with the current, I can control it with the button it has. The filter has two filtration parts: a foam and activated charcoal. I turn it off during the night, because I think it's not necessary all day working, and the water is clean by this way.

Regards

I agree with Roy...no filter. Plants can easily substitute a filter and are all advantages.

I use a Fluval 1 Plus filter in my 29gallon.

yhst-44635571217884_2038_4074715.gif

It's an internal canister filter. I'm actually very happy with it. I mainly wanted it to power my little waterfall and it does that very well. The current is nice and gentle, it's quiet, and I haven't had a problem with it heating the water. The only issue I have with it is that the mesh on the intake is a little wide: small larvae could get sucked in. You could fix this easily though.

I turn it off during the night, because I think it's not necessary all day working, and the water is clean by this way.

NEVER TURN A FILTER OFF AT NIGHT

Turning a filter of will result in an anaerobic condition in your filter. This will kill all the benificial bacteria in your filter and under aerobic conditions nasty compounds can be formed.
So either use a filter continuously or do not use a filter!!!!!!

(turning a filter of for 15 minutes while changing water is OK as this is to short to get anaerobic conditions)

My preferred filter is a sponge filter, specifically one of these guys. If I was going to any more high tech I would be using the box filtered powered above. I couple this with regular water changes.

NEVER TURN A FILTER OFF AT NIGHT

Turning a filter of will result in an anaerobic condition in your filter. This will kill all the benificial bacteria in your filter and under aerobic conditions nasty compounds can be formed.
So either use a filter continuously or do not use a filter!!!!!!

(turning a filter of for 15 minutes while changing water is OK as this is to short to get anaerobic conditions)

Thanks for advice,but I'll assume the risk

I don´t think you understand...
If you turn off the filter at night, the bacteria die, and you eliminate completely the purpose of the filter...
In other words...your filter under those conditions is not doing anything at all for the quality of your water...it´s just consuming electricity, heating the tank and annoying the newts with a current...
It´s not about taking a risk is about understanding how something works...
I understand that the noise can be annoying at night....but if you are not willing to sacrifice that, then don´t use a filter....because the way you´re using it not only brings you no benefit whatsoever, but it can also be a problem as Roy pointed out.

Yes, azhael, I understood perfectly, but I'll keep doing it.

Why is it that you like to turn it off at night Oziris?

Yes, azhael, I understood perfectly, but I'll keep doing it.
If you cannot run the filter 24 hrs/day, I would strongly recommend getting rid of the filter and just using a small airstone (or sponge filter). If noise is an issue, it would be OK to turn off the airstone/sponge at night. In my opinion it's not OK to turn off a filter at night - it negates the whole purpose of having a filter.

I too use the Fluval plus 1 in several tanks.I've been happy with them and found the heating effect minimal.In my verrucosus tank, I have one ofthe larger Fluval models and it is perfect.But I also use airstones in a couple tanks and they are fine as long as you make regular water changes.

I use small submersible filters. The Tetra brand has flow control on it's models. If you have a 10 gallon tank get the 2-10 gallon tank size (uses the medium size filter media)and put it on the lowest flow. It has a smaller motor which has never generated much heat in my experience. Also for waterflow control in any aquarium, divert current by placing specific items where the water initially drops such as a large plant or rocky decoration, it will lessen it and should make it a minimal issue. I agree that under gravel filtration is not effective unless you have extremely efficient tank members (like a single betta) and have a lot of extra space. I also agree that if you do not have a filter on continously you are wasting electricity and space. You can also create mold issues inside mechanical portions within the filter that could make your animal sick...

I have a Fluval 1 filter in a 10 gallon tank and have been very happy with the filter, but about every 2 weeks I need to clean out the sponge as it clogs the filter. I have done a bit of research and it appears that my situation is abnormal, and that most fluval 1 owners last much longer then 2 weeks prior to cleaning their filter. Is it normal to have to clean the sponge so often?

I also have a well planted aquarium with wendti, amazon swords, lace ferns, and a mystery plant a buddy gave me. If I were to ditch the filter, would my current plants keep the water clean? I do a partial water change once a week with the filter, if I get rid of the filter, could I still get by with only a weekly partial water change?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back