3 legged axolotl

mitchell101

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Mitchell
Today i bought a three legged axolotl from an axie breeder that i know. It had it's leg bitten off by another axolotl. It is gold and i named it Tripod because it has three legs. I am going to document the growth of his leg and post my results on this thread. He is feeding well and has already eaten two worms. He is about 18cm long. Here are some pics of him now. Sorry i can't get any close ups but my camera isn't good enough.
Mitch.

Attachments

• AXOLOTS3 020.jpg
    AXOLOTS3 020.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,019
  • AXOLOTS3 023.jpg
    AXOLOTS3 023.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 502
  • AXOLOTS3 024.jpg
    AXOLOTS3 024.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 650
  • AXOLOTS3 026.jpg
    AXOLOTS3 026.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 794
  • AXOLOTS3 025.jpg
    AXOLOTS3 025.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 494
um I would say his missing leg is the least of his issues. His gills! His body condition! A local breeder sold you this weak ill looking specimen?

Why was that poor animal allowed to get into that condition?

You put it in with your axy straight away?

Sharon

good luck.
remember to keep them well fed, and ensure water is clean

does you breeder have any other axies f/s?

pm me

cheers mate

Don't worry he's fine. He's not in bad health. Some axolotls gills are just small. He got a bit shocked from the change of water but he's good now. He's exploring and eating and isn't sick. His body is fine in the photos the colour is just bad. I will feed him up and make him fat. I didn't really want to put him in the tank straight away but my dad said to because we know the guy and he says it will be fine.
Mitch.

Don't worry he's fine. He's not in bad health. Some axolotls gills are just small. He got a bit shocked from the change of water but he's good now. He's exploring and eating and isn't sick. His body is fine in the photos the colour is just bad. I will feed him up and make him fat. I didn't really want to put him in the tank straight away but my dad said to because we know the guy and he says it will be fine.
Mitch.

Its not his current health im worried about.

You have to ensure the water quaility is very good.
High ammonia, bad ph, amoungst other thigns can cause infection of the wound, which can happen very easy.

(ever cut your finger nails to low, and they get sore and red, this is an infection)

just be diligent.... we dont want him gettin sick, when your trying to regrown that limb...

and remember pics, every week or when you see changes :wacko:

All water parameters are fine but i will take extra care in maintaining the cleanest water i can get.
Don't worry i will have weekly pictures showing the growth of his leg.
Mitch.

I have one problem with him. He eats everything i feed him but after 20 or 30 mins he regurgitates it, it is regurgitate and not spit out. I know when he is about to regurgitate the food because he starts opening and closing his mouth and making his throat enlarge and contract then he spits it out and tries to eat it again.

Any ideas why this is happening?
Other than that he is going well.
Mitch.

Hi Mitchell,

Regurgitation happens during 5 main scenarios. I will rank the likelihood from most common to least common.

1 - Too much food too quickly. (ie swallowed a huge lump of entangled eartworms)

2 - Food being fed is decomposing (not fresh).

3 - Water temperature is too cold (below 10 degree celsius)

4 - Neurological problem (nervous system deficit) - extremely rare

5 - Other unrelated illnesses such as a mass growing along the gastrointestinal tract. (Rare)

Cheers

He might be impacted . What was he kept on from the breeder? Were there small rocks or gravel?

I have have no idea what he was kept on when he was with the breeder. I am feeding him half a worm and he is going fine with it.
Mitch

Re: 3 legged axolotl - leg growth

His leg seems to be growing. He is eating fine and I am slowly getting more and more food into him each day. He doesn't really like the worms which is a shame because they are so healthy so today i tried him on fresh fish that i caught (whiting), and he seems to like it. Is this alright for a stable diet?
I will post pictures of his growth tomorrow.
Mitch.

Its not his current health im worried about.

You have to ensure the water quaility is very good.
High ammonia, bad ph, amoungst other thigns can cause infection of the wound, which can happen very easy.

just be diligent.... we dont want him gettin sick, when your trying to regrown that limb...
He is right keep taking good care of him
sadly i got a bit slack with care
and my axie died today
SO KEEP GOOD CARE OF HIM!

sadly i got a bit slack with care
and my axie died today
SO KEEP GOOD CARE OF HIM!

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Are you going to get another axolotl?
I had slackened off a bit with cleaning the tank about a month ago but got back into it and clean it a lot now. Two days ago i was told by two pet stores that i was cleaning too much and had to cut back a bit. I am not going to slack off again and i will take good care of him! Again sorry to hear of you loss.
Mitch.

Hi Mitchell,

Just to answer your question about fish as a diet. It is suitable as an occasional supplementary treat but not as a staple. Earthworms, bloodworms, blackworms and pellets are the most suitable as staples.

Cheers

Sorry about not posted pictures, i have been taking photos but haven't got around to posting them. His leg is growing well, you can even see his tiny little toes. I can't tell how many toes he has but his leg is looking good. He is feeding well and looking healthy. The bite marks on his tail were already there when i got him. He's had no trouble with my other axolotl. Here are the pics.

Attachments

• AXOLOTS3 049.jpg
    AXOLOTS3 049.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 458
  • AXOLOTS3 043.jpg
    AXOLOTS3 043.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 388
  • AXOLOTS3 040.jpg
    AXOLOTS3 040.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 478
  • AXOLOTS3 037.jpg
    AXOLOTS3 037.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 332
I also have pics from i week ago that i haven't posted.

Attachments

• AXOLOTS3 028.jpg
    AXOLOTS3 028.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 259
  • AXOLOTS3 030.jpg
    AXOLOTS3 030.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 427
  • AXOLOTS3 033.jpg
    AXOLOTS3 033.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 553
Thank you Mitchell for generously sharing with us your photo updates of your axie.

Regards

He is eating well and looking great. You can now see an elbow and his toes easily. As soon as i get a good picture of his leg i will post some.
Mitch.

Sorry about the delay but i have been setting up fish tanks and haven't been able to get a good photo.

Attachments

• AXOLOTS3 051.jpg
    AXOLOTS3 051.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 410
  • AXOLOTS3 050.jpg
    AXOLOTS3 050.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 418
  • AXOLOTS3 054.jpg
    AXOLOTS3 054.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 465
reminds me of my peggy who only had 3 legs when i got her (hence the name) i was so supprised how quick her leg grew back and now you can hardly tell she ever lost one (the new one is slightly clearer than the rest)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back