thirdeye96

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Ok I'll start off with this:

I JUST HAD MY FIRST AXIE BITE :D
I was handfeeding the gorgeous fella and he sucked onto my finger :D

Ok a few things:

1. What do you guys do when you clean the tank etc. and how often do you do this. What are your tank cleaning regimes.

2. How do you feed your guys bloodworms without them ending up all over your tank.

3. Would you suggest taking out my 7/8cm sucking catfish from the tank (the very timid type) when the axie is 15cm long?

4. Is a 200 L/Hr hang on filter enough for a 60*25*30 tank?

5. Is it ok to use limestone in the tank?

Cheers,
Matt

First of all, I would'nt keep any other fish of any type with your Axolotl. And another question that I'd like to answer is ......have you ever thought about taking your Axolotl's out of the tank to feed. It sounds like alot of work, but thats what I do. And while there out in their bowls, I vacuum their sand, and empty 25% of their water.
Hope that these ideas help.
SUZY

Hi thirdeye96,

1. What do you guys do when you clean the tank etc. and how often do you do this. What are your tank cleaning regimes.

Perform regular water chemistry checks (at least once a week). Thereafter, perform a 20% water change. Siphon out visible detritus and uneaten food from the substrate. Leave the surfaces of the tank and ornaments/hiding spots in the tank unscrubbed. We want to preserve the bioslime (beneficial bacteria). Leave your filter on at all times. You can unclog your filter and give it a rinse with some of your existing tank water. Do not use soap/detergents etc., hot boiling water or undechlorinated water when cleaning. Also make sure your hands are clean but soap free!The freqency of your regime depends on how rapidly your water parameters change. You can set up your own established routine that suits you.

2. How do you feed your guys bloodworms without them ending up all over your tank.

Firstly i would recommend you feed live earthworms or blackworms instead. They are easier to clean up because they stay alive for quite a while, remain intact in water or clump together for easy removal.

If you want to feed bloodworms, give the frozen cubes a good rinse, defrost them and then place them all in a teacup. Lower the teacup gently pressing against the side of your tank. The bloodworms should all remain in the teacup. Once you reach the bottom of the tank, you can leave it semi 'tilted' such that the axies can get access to the accumulated heap of worms.

Another really nice idea i saw recently was 'planting' a saucer pressed into the substrate. The saucer will act as a feeding platform. Because the saucer has raised edges, the bloodworms will tend not to scatter as much.

You can also try handfeeding your axies via a dropper/syringe filled with bloodworms.

3. Would you suggest taking out my 7/8cm sucking catfish from the tank (the very timid type) when the axie is 15cm long?

I recommend taking your catfish out now. Axolotls are best housed with similar sized axies and nothing else unless you want to use suitable feeder fish like guppies, minnows, or platys.

Besides acccidents that can happen (catfish vs axie vice versa hurting each other), they can also harbour parasites and diseases that can be transmitted to each other.

Additional animals in the tank will also add to increased wastes produced.

4. Is a 200 L/Hr hang on filter enough for a 60*25*30 tank?

A hang on filter is definitely appropriate. Based on theory i would say your filter would be fine. However do perform your regular water chemistry checks and you would have a better idea of your filter's efficacy. Also ensure there is no excessive currents generated.

5. Is it ok to use limestone in the tank?

Some canister filters incorporate a bag of 'chemical filtration', which is essentially activated carbon and zeolite. The media removes pollutants and organic compounds and help remove ammonia. If you are aiming for that purpose, i would recommend you get the filter media.

I don't see why you want to put limestone in your freshwater tank unless you desperately want to raise your water pH. There is no necessity and in fact could make monitoring your water parameters harder.

Cheers

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back