Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Spotted Salamander Care and Natural History

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Frank,
Do you know the ph of R-Zilla Fir/Sphagnum? We would not normally recommend sphagnum or peat as a substrate due to its acidity.

Otherwise it's a very good care sheet - thanks for posting the link. As it's aimed at pet hobbyists it may be prudent to mention that this species has never bred indoors before. Phrases such as "helps to maintain normal activity patterns and to spur breeding" may give false hope :). I guess there's nothing wrong with hope, false or otherwise.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this Frank.

I would concur with Mark's comments and my only other consideration might be with regard to misting the tank daily. I tend to let one side of my ambystoma vivs be more moist than the other side (misted less frequently), to allow the animals to self regulate and have a choice.

Nice care sheet.
Jan

freves

Reaction score
Frank,
I find the prospect of keeping land snails interesting. Do they "slime up" the glass at all and how hard are they on terrarium plants?
Chip

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!