Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Tank

optimist

Reaction score
If I took everything (filter, hides, plants, axolotls, water) out of a 3ft tank and put it into a 4ft tank, instantly, would the four foot tank be then cycled? Grateful for advice -- I want to upgrade Pinky and Perky's accomodation.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
You would lose the bacteria from the surface of the glass, which is a considerable bit, but it is still an excellent way to get a huge head start on your new tank.

-Eva

optimist

Reaction score
Thanks. So if I did that (as I don't have a second filter, so I can't keep the two tanks running), how frequently / what quantity of water should I be changing to ensure Pinky and Perky carry on dancing and smiling?

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Good question. Reckon you'll be needing to test the water again - maybe once every second day for the first couple of weeks to get an idea of what is going on. That should let you now how well things are going and how much water you need to change. Or you could skip testing and do the daily 20% changes for a month and then give the water a test. (Me, I don't like testing the water.)

-Eva

optimist

Reaction score
Thanks again -- i'm with you, I'd rather change water than flaff around testing unless absolutely necessary. Daily 1/5 changes then. I'll move them on Sunday.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!