Tank dividers?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Colt
Has anyone used a tank divider for two different species and had sucess? I have a 20 gallon aquarium and want two different tipes of newts. Thanks!

The ready-made dividers that they sell aren't very secure at all. Most newts are able to climb over them, no problem. I'd really recommend sticking with one species per tank.

I attempted to use a divider in the past in hopes of preventing my one aggressive Chinese Firebelly newt from hurting the other Chinese Firebelly newt. Somehow, even with that divider, he would manage to climb his way over the top and hurt the other newt. I eventually ended up getting two separate 10 gallon tanks, placing one newt in each. My Chinese Firebelly newts that I have right now aren't aggressive in the least, but that past situation really prompted me to consider the fact that those particular newts needed lots of space from each other.

I had a tank with robust dividers (i.e. built into the tank) to separate three emperor newts. Every morning when I came in (even with a supposed lid that sealed each section, the male would be curled up with one of the females in the morning, sometimes having to go over two barriers to get to her). Newts are amazing at getting over, under and squeezing through the tiniest spaces. I would not trust separators at all...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back