Feeder fish quarantine?

Heather at HMSG

Reaction score
Country
England
Hi - just wondering how a quarantine period helps - if the fish have parasites, etc., how does one tell. I'm just trying to get the fuller picture here.

By lucky coincidence, I started breeding guppies just before getting the axies, & now have rather a lot of (spare) fish..........can I assume they are 'clean'? I've had both fish & axies about 6 months.........just thinking laterally, with 10 x 2-week old axi-poles growing fast..........

Many thanks,

Heather

The theory is that if the fish are ill, they'll die within that 30 day quarantine period.

If you're breeding your own, you can be reasonably sure they're fairly clean.

Hi Heather,

Fish kept in quarantine are usually newly acquired fish. However, quarantine tanks can also be used to house any particular livestock or plants of interest and keep them under careful observation.

Quarantine tanks allow hobbyists to perform thorough physical and behavioral examinations. Detailed visual examination of coloration, fin development, and eye clarity offers great insight into the general health of the fish. Careful examination over an extended period also allows hobbyists to detect any potential parasites or disease symptoms. In feeder fish, an early sign of parasitism is 'flashing' whereby the fish darts about in such a manner that 'light gleams off its scales" or basically goes against the general flow of motion. Therefore, we can prevent the introduction of pathogens and parasites into the main tank. It would also facilitate treatments if indicated. Some hobbyists use potassium permaganate to rinse off newly acquired aquatic plants for example.

During quarantine, hobbyists can also monitor feeding behavior to make sure new arrivals are eating and are accepting prepared foods. More importantly, this observation period allows new arrivals to acclimate and recover from the stress of transport. These cautionary steps ensure optimum health of new fish and the prevention of potential illness in the main aquarium. A minimum quarantine period of at least 30 days is recommended for new arrivals. And yes, Kaysie basically explained everything i mentioned in one succinct concise line as usual. Ill fish is assumed to die within 30 days.

Cheers.

Hi Heather,

Kaysie basically explained everything i mentioned in one succinct concise line as usual. Ill fish is assumed to die within 30 days.

Cheers.

THANK YOU both - perfectly clear now - we must have gone from 5 guppies to an estimate of at least 50 now!......how to choose.......not something I will enjoy. Food chains eh!

Heather

......how to choose.......not something I will enjoy. Food chains eh!

Heather

Just tell yourself how lucky those fish are to become a meal for an axolotl. To get tha chance in the wild, they would have to get little guppy passports and book a really expensive flight to Mexico, and then find transportation to the lake where axolotls originate, and then hope to find one there and convince it to choose them over other fish. In Spanish. You are doing them an honor: what an exotic way to complete your life! :happy:

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back